1. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    07 Sep '20 23:37
    When I was in college in the 1970's (No, I didn't go to school with Fred Flintstone!), US Chess Life was offering a life-time subscription for $500 (USD). I had the money, but I think I spent it on booze, women, and weed.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Sep '20 23:55
    @MontyMoose

You probably had money the chess subscription as well, just other more desirable things were distracting you.
  3. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    08 Sep '20 14:29
    @montymoose said
    When I was in college in the 1970's (No, I didn't go to school with Fred Flintstone!), US Chess Life was offering a life-time subscription for $500 (USD). I had the money, but I think I spent it on booze, women, and weed.
    good choice
  4. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    24 Oct '20 15:54
    Does anybody still go to school/college/Uni because you have twitter, google and Siri now ...🙂

Siri does anyone still read a chess book?
    Siri: leave me alone
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Oct '20 16:072 edits
    I prefer watching chess videos. I get squat put of reading books, I do much better with hearing it explained and seeing the moves in actual board moves.

No books and magazines for me, but there are people who prefer text. These people will still buy books.

Someone mentioned books are portable, but why bring a book when videos are on your phone?
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    25 Oct '20 01:34
    @Eladar

My books never need to be recharged. Well, some of them, anyway!
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    25 Oct '20 16:45
    @eladar said
    I prefer watching chess videos. I get squat put of reading books, I do much better with hearing it explained and seeing the moves in actual board moves.

No books and magazines for me, but there are people who prefer text. These people will still buy books.

Someone mentioned books are portable, but why bring a book when videos are on your phone?
    I do this thing with chess books where I play out the moves on a chess board, that being the only way I can keep track of what the author is on about.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Oct '20 16:54
    @deepthought said
    I do this thing with chess books where I play out the moves on a chess board, that being the only way I can keep track of what the author is on about.
    But you are still looking at text, not hearing the explanation. The videos often come with a board on the screen with the position already there and played out.

Initially, I learn best by demonstration with an verbal explanation.

You may do better with text and using your hands.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree