1. Joined
    28 Oct '08
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 20:23
    I hear everyone talking about Silman like he is the best thing that one could read.

I bought: The Amateur's Mind, Reassess Your Chess, and the End Game one. Also they say that the workbook to Reassess Your Chess is even better.

But am I a bit premature in approaching his writings?

I need to improve. Tactics help, books and online . But what about other books?

I did find a copy of Purdy's Guide to Good Chess and am loving it. I will read it several times.

But what about Jeremy Silman's books. Do they do everything for you that I hear people say they will? But what if you are not ready for them? And how do you know when you are "ready ?"

grit
  2. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 20:291 edit
    Originally posted by grit
    I hear everyone talking about Silman like he is the best thing that one could read.

I bought: The Amateur's Mind, Reassess Your Chess, and the End Game one. Also they say that the workbook to Reassess Your Chess is even better.

I need to improve. Tactics help, books and online . But what about other But what if you are not ready for them? And how do you know when you are "ready ?"

grit
    Start with endgame book, (up to 1200 rating section of the book, for example). Then Amateurs mind. I would save reasses as last one.

I do not know about whenever you are ready. You should grasp basic endgame knowledge, basic mate patterns , tactical devices (pin, fork, skewer, discovery, double check, removing the guard) and when you do that, proceed with Silman books.
  3. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 21:11

But what about other books?
    One classic is "Logical Chess Move by Move" by Irving Chernev. It gives an explanation of every move in over 30 games. I think you will pick up a lot from it.

One question, you have been here for over 2 months and have yet to make a move? Perhaps you play only blitz so it doesn't show up, but otherwise go to the "open invites" and start playing.
  4. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 21:22
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    One classic is "Logical Chess Move by Move"
    Yeah. Better to go trough that book before you start with Silman's imbalances tehniques.
  5. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    31 Dec '08 23:511 edit

I need to improve. Tactics help, books and online . But what about other But what if you are not ready for them? And how do you know when you are "ready ?"

grit
    Winning Chess Tactics by Seirawan would be a good book for you. An endgames book is a tough call. Silmans book may be right for you, but I think that will depend as much on your aptitude as much as your playing strength. How do you know when your ready?...YOU DON"T! Start a balanced program of study and competitive games, be persistent with this, and you'll improve. Studying a book that is a bit to advanced for you is still better then doing nothing. 😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree