Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member Grampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    02 Nov '11 01:28
    Armenia / Mandatory Chess Training (age six)


    http://www.theworld.org/2011/11/armenia-chess-education/


    Thoughts.
  2. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    02 Nov '11 02:12
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Armenia / Mandatory Chess Training (age six)


    [b]http://www.theworld.org/2011/11/armenia-chess-education/



    Thoughts.[/b]
    Doesn't sound draconian, half hour lessons. I got more than that on piano when I was 7.
  3. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    02 Nov '11 02:15
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Armenia / Mandatory Chess Training (age six)


    [b]http://www.theworld.org/2011/11/armenia-chess-education/



    Thoughts.[/b]
    I had a nice chat with Susan P. about this topic.
  4. 02 Nov '11 19:19
    Excellent idea. Just because it is "mandatory" doesn't mean anything sinister. An hour a week using your mind, trying to think ahead, visualization, and social interaction with other humans seems just the right ticket to me.
  5. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    03 Nov '11 01:22
    I keep getting this mental image of a strict teacher slapping a kid's hand with a ruler saying, "Triangulate!! Dammit!!"
  6. Standard member Grampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    03 Nov '11 15:55
    Any parents here begin teaching their sons and/or daughters the royal game at an earlier age than they themselves were taught?
  7. Standard member Grampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    05 Nov '11 18:33 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Any parents here begin teaching their sons and/or daughters the royal game at an earlier age than they themselves were taught?
    Casually began teaching my own son Eric at the age of two. Little shaver went on to win his first tournament at the Sharon Community Center in a suburb west of Boston while still in 1st Grade, successfully defeating 5th and 6th Graders in the finals.

    gb
  8. Subscriber Ponderable On Vacation
    chemist
    07 Nov '11 14:17
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Casually began teaching my own son Eric at the age of two. Little shaver went on to win his first tournament at the Sharon Community Center in a suburb west of Boston while still in 1st Grade, successfully defeating 5th and 6th Graders in the finals.

    gb
    I began teaching my son in elementary school. He is playing ok if a bit fast (like his dad...)
  9. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    07 Nov '11 16:31 / 2 edits
    A friend of mine who is a GM taught his son at an early age. His son is no great ball of fire yet. But the kid just finished 7th in his state scholastic finals. Not too bad.


    "Mitch finished 7th in New Jersey State Chess Championship, 5th grade. He started out as the 19th seed out of 31 and scored 3.5 out of 5."-Alex Fishbein
  10. 07 Nov '11 21:08
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Armenia / Mandatory Chess Training (age six)


    [b]http://www.theworld.org/2011/11/armenia-chess-education/



    Thoughts.[/b]
    Thoughts? I have two:

    1. Does learning chess at young age benefit a player's abilities afterwards? Someone said something about his piano lessons... I can't imagine a kid is interested in chess below 10. Having to learn chess at young age would draw all the fun of it, unless taught by your (grand)parents or so...

    2. Does learning chess at young age benefit someone's general develoment? Isn't chess too hard for that? Playing cards would be as good in developing intellectual skills.
  11. Standard member Grampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    12 Nov '11 15:36
    Originally posted by tvochess

    Thoughts? I have two:

    1. Does learning chess at young age benefit a player's abilities afterwards? Someone said something about his piano lessons... I can't imagine a kid is interested in chess below 10. Having to learn chess at young age would draw all the fun of it, unless taught by your (grand)parents or so...

    2. Does learning chess at you ...[text shortened]... t chess too hard for that? Playing cards would be as good in developing intellectual skills.
    Yes, yes and no.