1. Joined
    17 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jun '08 20:11
    Attacking the center is sensible sometime, but don't attack the center just for the sake of it.

Avoid the center because

a) It lets me know where your pieces are so I can attack them
    b) As the game progresses the king won't be in the center, so attacking him is impossible in the center
    c) As the game progresses you trade pieces so having pieces placed in the center isn't preferable to off the board, with one of your opponents pieces.

As proof Game 5125787 shows the St. George's defense which doesn't attack the center, and it led to a win.
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '08 20:17
    Originally posted by tamuzi
    Attacking the center is sensible sometime, but don't attack the center just for the sake of it.

Avoid the center because

b) As the game progresses the king won't be in the center, so attacking him is impossible in the center
    c) As the game progresses you trade pieces so having pieces placed ...[text shortened]... [/gid] shows the St. George's defense which doesn't attack the center, and it led to a win.
    😵
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '08
    Moves
    21 Jun '08 20:28
    the neuvo hypermodernist hippopotamus appraoch then. although im not sure your being totally serious here?
  4. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    21 Jun '08 20:381 edit

Avoid the center because

c) As the game progresses you trade pieces so having pieces placed [/gid] shows the St. George's defense which doesn't attack the center, and it led to a win.
    Here is the problem with forums. Some people might read this post, and then think not controlling the center is actually a good idea. I hope this post is a joke, but if it's not:

Showing a game between two extremely low rated players doesn't prove any type of point at all, since that game is riddled with errors. The chess principles we follow today were established by the strongest players of yesteryear and proven in practice by the strongest players in the years following.

And as a general note, the hypermodern defenses, like the Modern, Pirc, and St. George don't neglect the center. They play to allow the opponent a center, and then to counterattack it from the flanks. I just wanted to clear up a number of flaws in the OP, for the sake of correctness.
  5. Joined
    17 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jun '08 21:03
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Here is the problem with forums. Some people might read this post, and then think not controlling the center is actually a good idea. I hope this post is a joke, but if it's not:

Showing a game between two extremely low rated players doesn't prove any type of point at all, since that game is riddled with errors. The chess principles we follow today were ...[text shortened]... e flanks. I just wanted to clear up a number of flaws in the OP, for the sake of correctness.
    See here is the problem with your thinking. You're only up to date with your understanding of current chess theory. Controlling the center has been a common theme with chess theory since the existence of chess, but we only play as well as we can think. Theres a new wave sweeping through that will dominate all central-thinkers. Life changes, theory changes and the importance of the center is changing. Shame that you'll be weighed down clinging to your conventional theory.

And yes, I'm being facetious.
  6. Hollow earth
    Moves
    21 Jun '08 22:07
    See here is the problem with your thinking. You're only up to date with your understanding of current chess theory. Controlling the center has been a common theme with chess theory since the existence of chess, but we only play as well as we can think. Theres a new wave sweeping through that will dominate all central-thinkers. Life changes, theory changes and ...[text shortened]... weighed down clinging to your conventional theory.

And yes, I'm being facetious.
    Ah the agony,the mockery,the pain....
    Well said actually.Too bad you were being facetious.
    What do you prefer: sitting in a hollow earth worshipping space nazi's(I kinda liked that one 😛 ) or forever think the earth is flat cause someone else told you so?

Could you do one with early queen sorties,please.
    Ooo!And I predict in 30 years,maybe sooner,every selfrespecting master will move his knights at least 7 times in the first 10 moves.
  7. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    22 Jun '08 00:48
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Here is the problem with forums. Some people might read this post, and then....
    Read this post. Learn it. Live it. Rec'd.
  8. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    22 Jun '08 01:25
  9. Joined
    21 Sep '06
    Moves
    22 Jun '08 01:30
    I'd like to recommend these posts to all my future opponents. 😀
  10. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    22 Jun '08 03:092 edits
    Avoid the center because

c) As the game progresses you trade pieces so having pieces placed in the center isn't preferable to off the board, with one of your opponents pieces.
    a) exactly in what ocasion you don't know where your opponent pieces are?

b) maybe a good strategy to avoid your flank attacks is to drive the king to the center...

c) what?!

🙄

edit: white missed mate in two: 29. Nf6 Kh8 30. Qxh7 1-0

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree