1. Joined
    28 Feb '11
    Moves
    28 Feb '11 16:00
    I'm a lifelong Colle guy. And I've developed my repertoire pretty thoroughly, based on knowing what variations will keep tiny, boring, club-level advantages against what.

The dream is to be able to roll out b3 against an early ...e6 followed by 4...c5, taking it down Zukertort roads (and preventing a black c4)...to switch to c3 in case of an early Nc6, taking it down Koltanowski roads (and preventing a black Nb4)...to capture with dxc4 and play in QGA reversed style against a quick 3...c5, for example...and to move to a Barry with a fast Bf4 against an early fianchetto.

The only move order that's ever proven particularly annoying is this one.

1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.e3 g6!, with an annoyingly delayed Gruenfeld, when Bf4 and the Barry stuff is off the table because of the e3.

White has nothing better here than c4, which is a solid if unspectacular way to approach the Gruenfeld as white, and DOES keep the theory to a minimum, but most definitely takes white out of comfortably familiar d-pawn special lines.

I like to make other players groan, but end up groaning myself when I see this.

From a less ambitious POV, the lines where black plays Nc6, Bg4, AND a fast e5 result in stale equality as fast as any lines in chess, and totally take the potential for fun away from a well prepared white Colle jock. You're not going to win any brilliancy prizes that way, but it's a way to go if your opponent is stronger than you and booked up on d-pawn stuff.
  2. Joined
    28 Feb '11
    Moves
    28 Feb '11 16:221 edit
    Should mention that it's entirely possible that after 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6, that a white opponent dedicated to keeping away from the c4-mainstream at all costs may well essay Bf4 or Bg5, with a London or a bad Torre. So that's NOT necessarily a plan to avoid all the d-pawn nonsense...just the Colle.

And of course, he can still roll out the Colle against 3...g6, but it'll be a poor one, with either the Bd3 biting on g6 granite, or doomed to Be2 passivity.
  3. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    03 Mar '11 19:10
    Originally posted by Zoinx
    I'm a lifelong Colle guy. And I've developed my repertoire pretty thoroughly, based on knowing what variations will keep tiny, boring, club-level advantages against what.

The dream is to be able to roll out b3 against an early ...e6 followed by 4...c5, taking it down Zukertort roads (and preventing a black c4)...to switch to c3 in case of an early Nc6, tak ...[text shortened]... , but it's a way to go if your opponent is stronger than you and booked up on d-pawn stuff.
    So I understand.

1.d4 nf6 2.nf3 e6 3. e3 c5 you play 4.dxc5? or 4.b3?

likwise if
    1.d4 d5 2. nf3 nf6 3.e3 e6 4.b3?

just curious.
  4. Joined
    28 Feb '11
    Moves
    03 Mar '11 19:411 edit
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    So I understand.

1.d4 nf6 2.nf3 e6 3. e3 c5 you play 4.dxc5? or 4.b3?

likwise if
    1.d4 d5 2. nf3 nf6 3.e3 e6 4.b3?

just curious.
    Hi nimzo.

In both cases, the answer is Bd3. In both, for the same reason...because black has not yet committed in a sense where you have adequate information about which setup is optimal for the pawns. Without d5 in the first instance, the reversed QGA setup is suboptimal. (Which is generally only essayed against a first three moves of d5, Nf6, and c5 in some order. If the player follows your move order, then plays 4...d5, you're back in mainline Zukertort waters.)

And without either c5 or Nc3 in the second instance, there's no sense committing to either the Zuke or the Koltanowski yet.

Yet because he has played e6 in both, you know his bishop is hemmed in, making Bd3 a slam dunk best-placement for your bishop.
  5. Joined
    25 Sep '09
    Moves
    12 Mar '11 04:48
    Hmmmmmmmmmm.............. What about french type positions against the Colle? 1.d4 e6 2N-f3 b6 3e4 n-e7 4B-d3 d5.....!? Yes I know this is not a strict Colle however it is how Colle players often meet 1.... b6 1.... e6 positions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree