1. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 May '11 15:431 edit
    YouTube&feature=related
  2. e4
    Moves
    24 May '11 16:25
    Spassky sticks something in his mouth at the start
    of the game and appears to set fire to it.

I'm going to try that, it may turn you a good player and it looks so cool.

The vid runs in 3 parts and you note the numbers drop with each part.

The number of current views.

Part one views = 8,767
    Part two views = 6,041
    Part Three views = 4,621

Typical Chess players only interested in the opening. 🙂
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 May '11 16:25
    awesome vid. thanx for posting.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 May '11 16:491 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Spassky sticks something in his mouth at the start
    of the game and appears to set fire to it.

I'm going to try that, it may turn you a good player and it looks so cool.

The vid runs in 3 parts and you note the numbers drop with each part.

The number of current views.

Part one views = 8,767
    Part two views = 6,041
    Part Three views = 4,621

its a pity, perhaps they were expecting a boring ending, after the present candidates
    matches, who can blame them! ending in that match was the best part, see the young
    girl trying to keep up on the analysis board!
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 May '11 16:49
    Originally posted by vivify
    awesome vid. thanx for posting.
    you are most welcome 🙂
  6. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 May '11 18:07
    Loved it.

I found the realtime cga analysis board really impressive from a 1982 perspective. One might say "pfft..." to it today, but back in the day, that would have been some really flash tech.

More than that, actually getting a glimpse of the GM's faces in real time is very rewarding. There are a multitude of entertaining analysis videos of chess games on Youtube in which they show the moves and the important variations, often with inciteful commentay. But it can't quite compare to watching film of a real-life dude actually lighting a smoke, scratching his bum, belching, then reaching foward to play e4.

The real-time element was fantastic as well. In reading through the moves of a famous game, you generally get absolutely no idea about - let's say - move 24: black is getting into serious time trouble. The temporarial (if that's not a real word, I've just coined it) aspect of the game is usually lacking in most game analyses - unless it's only to say "move 67 white loses on time." Getting a genuine insight into to the length of time top-notch players spend between moves was enlightening.

I'll be the first to say that at 1600 (a grade which I've gained primararily through getting a kick out of pantsing 1300s) I'm really in no position to judge the quality of analysis of any chess game. But I must say I found the dialogue a little dull and/or indecipherable in the vids. I'm not saying I could do better, but I know I could be more entertaining. And hell, entertaining is what it's all about, for a rank amateur like myself. I play chess to have fun, nothing more, nothing less. A bit of escapism. I love it. Now, the commentators in these vids sound like they're debating an alimony agreement. C'mon dude, you're getting paid to do commentary to two of the greatest minds in the world in a sport that you love. Either sound like you're enjoying it or piss off.

Commentary rant aside, I'll reiterate that I loved the vids. Two guys played a game. I saw them at it, it was great. More please. I understand that occurences of television coverage of chess are few and far between but I'll be keen for anything you can link my way.
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    24 May '11 18:57
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

when everybody knows endgame is where it's at. 😛
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 May '11 21:261 edit
    Originally posted by Nybes
    Loved it.

I found the realtime cga analysis board really impressive from a 1982 perspective. One might say "pfft..." to it today, but back in the day, that would have been some really flash tech.

More than that, actually getting a glimpse of the GM's faces in real time is very rewarding. There are a multitude of entertaining analysis videos of chess ga are few and far between but I'll be keen for anything you can link my way.
    I am glad you enjoyed them, on the commentators, one must understand, that well, they were British and rather reserved, we dont go in much for 'slam dunks', and 'razzmatazz', indeed i once saw a video where the commentator tried to sensationalise the game and it rather cheapened it i felt, like we were watching Jeff Hardy wrestle the Great Kali on WWE. When one views the commentary as a cultural aspect, that rather genteel Englishness, lawn parties and drinking tea with scones and cream, it takes on a rather more interesting perspective. Anyhow, i think it was part of a BBC series, wish i could get a hold of it. Maybe GP has it on video or DVD, would be great to get it.
  9. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    25 May '11 00:551 edit
    Had seen this before, big fan.

Am I the only one who thought that Karpov sounded a bit like Gollum? Maybe it was just his hair..
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 May '11 05:24
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    Had seen this before, big fan.

Am I the only one who thought that Karpov sounded a bit like Gollum? Maybe it was just his hair..
    Lol, no he did, my precious, my precious! Now when i play a move i have Spassky going through my head, 'the possibilities', in a Russian accent!, 'ees good for me!'.
  11. Joined
    01 Mar '11
    Moves
    25 May '11 17:402 edits
    This IS awesome and thanks for sharing, Boris is still my all time fave. I like the players' own 'annotations' throughout...

"This ees Fisher variation, very sound for black"
    "Bishop B3...wiz pleasure"

Spassky's voice makes Karpov sound like a teenager.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 May '11 17:511 edit
    Originally posted by Reeves2668
    This IS awesome and thanks for sharing, Boris is still my all time fave. I like the players' own 'annotations' throughout...

"This ees Fisher variation, very sound for black"
    "Bishop B3...wiz pleasure"

Spassky's voice makes Karpov sound like a teenager.
    You are most welcome, yes the annotations were a real highlight, we should all develop
    Russian accents, its the only way to progress in chess! Alexandra Kostineuk also has a
    very appealing voice, 'pawn to sree three'. 🙂
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 May '11 05:38
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    You are most welcome, yes the annotations were a real highlight, we should all develop
    Russian accents, its the only way to progress in chess! Alexandra Kostineuk also has a
    very appealing voice, 'pawn to sree three'. 🙂
    What was the time of the game? 30 min? Also, did Karpov just run out of time? I wasn't sure of what happened at the end. Did Spas have a winning move? It wasn't mate was it? They moved so fast and ended it so quickly I would have liked to see the end position a bit longer.
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 May '11 06:112 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzMxHYk70ew&feature=related
    Keep good king's gambit video's like this a-comin! You are a chess master... of finding good videos.

I only wish Karpov would've played 15... h5
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 May '11 06:22
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What was the time of the game? 30 min? Also, did Karpov just run out of time? I wasn't sure of what happened at the end. Did Spas have a winning move? It wasn't mate was it? They moved so fast and ended it so quickly I would have liked to see the end position a bit longer.
    I think each player had an hour... or 30 minutes. Not sure. They said, "...and even though the entire game has to be finished in an hour Karpov is taking fiteen, sixteen, seventeen minutes..."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree