1. Joined
    12 Jul '04
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 03:58
    It has been a long, long time since I played my last correspondence game. It has been a long time since I read a chess book, played over an anotated game, researched openings, played against an engine, solved a puzzle...

I am playing again but without the passion or skill I used to have but with the joy of a kid playing just because it is fun...

Am I ready to play the same openings I used to play before? Perhaps, but I am so outdated!
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 14:52
    Originally posted by Alopinto
    Am I ready to play the same openings I used to play before? Perhaps, but I am so outdated!
    Trust me, on this site, that is not a great disadvantage. Cutting edge here is playing the Colle...

Anyway, this is a correspondence site. As long as you don't blunder in the opening, you should be fine. Long (not necessarily deep 🙁 ) thought is our main weapon, not keen, newly invented edges. We're hardly the blitz world championship.

Richard
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '04
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 02:29
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Trust me, on this site, that is not a great disadvantage. Cutting edge here is playing the Colle...

Anyway, this is a correspondence site. As long as you don't blunder in the opening, you should be fine. Long (not necessarily deep 🙁 ) thought is our main weapon, not keen, newly invented edges. We're hardly the blitz world championship.

Richard
    Hey Richard,

Colle´s opening is cutting edge? My! That´s difficult to play as black (as well as the Barry attack and other similar animals like the Stonewall)

My aim in playing here is for the most part to have fun. Also, I do work at my openings here and I have had very competent oponents that have helped me with lines that I hate playing.

I am also intending to play OTB chess again here in Colombia in order, again, to have a good time...

Take care,

-D-
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Jul '11 15:521 edit
    Originally posted by Alopinto
    Colle´s opening is cutting edge? My! That´s difficult to play as black (as well as the Barry attack and other similar animals like the Stonewall)
    Oh, yes - ask any Scotsman!

(Sorry - in joke. If you stick around long enough you'll get it.)

My aim in playing here is for the most part to have fun.

Seriously, though, that is the right attitude. And as for the latest opening theory, well, for starters it's still true that this is not as much of a factor in correspondence (whether internet or postal) as in over-the-board; but if you want to investigate certain lines, this is such a diverse community that you're bound to find someone to accomodate you. But if you set your time-outs right, you should never need to be caught out unawares by a theoretical novelty.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree