1. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 17:07
    I had a good little streak of luck a few minutes ago. 🙂

1-Minute Game ... Sao is a Grandmaster !!!

Admittedly, there wasn't much content to that game. The majority of it was decided in extreme time pressure. In fact, I only had a second left when his flag fell. Still, a win over a GM is nice.

The next game (5 Minutes) is the really nice one.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 17:091 edit
    whoa, how can you guys play a 1 min game that looks reasonable till the very end? seriously, it's amazing. nice trick in the king&pawn ending by the way 🙂
  3. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 17:15
    62 ...Kc7? etc. This looks like it should be drawn?!? K v K + p. Can't practice this enough
  4. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 17:16
    5-Minute Game

White is rated 2311 !!!

I haven't checked this with an engine yet, so I will give a few of my own (hopefully not too flawed) ideas/variations.

6. ... Be7 doesn't look so hot in hindsight. The idea was to avoid allowing a trade of dark squared bishops. I wanted to get in g5 and win that bishop, which is awkwardly placed after the combination of g3 and e3.

11. ... Ne4 had the intenion of setting up a stonewall with f5.

12.Ng5! stops the whole idea (f5 13.Nxe6). White is begging black to open the h file for his rook. I knew if I did this, I wouldn't last long.
    I am most likely already lost on the board. Figuring I had nothing to lose, I decided to make the game crazy.

14. ... f6 (and the exchange sack) was my attempt at making it as confusing as possible.

I saw 21.Qb3+ coming but felt that I would have a lot of compensation on the light squares if he went into this.

I did not see moves 23 on ahead of time. I was just somewhat lucky that they were there in the position. I am quite happy that I did see them when the time came though. It's not everyday I mate a 2300 on the board !!!
  5. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 17:39
    I just checked the analysis with surprising results !!!

14. ... f6 is best !!!

15 - best

16. ... Nxg3 ! ... I had originally seen this, but I didn't want to open the g file for white. The main idea is 17.Rg1 Kxf8! (18.Rxg3 Bxh4)

17-26 - All best moves !!!

27. ... Qxg3+ ! is the real killer. After that, the game is over. In the game, he can trade his queen for my rook and fight on.

28-31 - Again all best !!!

I guess my instincts were right.
  6. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 18:10
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    I had a good little streak of luck a few minutes ago. 🙂

1-Minute Game ... Sao is a Grandmaster !!!

[pgn][Event "ICC"]
    [Site "Internet Chess Club"]
    [Date "2009.09.18"]
    [Round "-"]
    [White "mississippimad"]
    [Black "SAO"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [WhiteElo "2095"]
    [BlackElo "2358"]
    [TimeControl "60+0"]
    1.e4 d6 2.Nc3 g6 3.d4 Bg7 4.Nf3 a6 5.a4 ...[text shortened]... in over a GM is nice.

The next game (5 Minutes) is the really nice one.
    isn't this just a simple draw? on move 65 black plays Kb7 and it is a draw no? just stepping back and forth between b7 and b8 as white doesnt have the oposition and defend the pawn simultaineously. Or is my endgame knowledge that horrible?
  7. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 18:34
    Originally posted by orion25
    isn't this just a simple draw? on move 65 black plays Kb7 and it is a draw no? just stepping back and forth between b7 and b8 as white doesnt have the oposition and defend the pawn simultaineously. Or is my endgame knowledge that horrible?
    Yes, it is a draw. 🙂 It's not a draw with 1/4 of a second on your clock though. If either side even stops to offer, they lose on time.
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 18:43
    Yes, it is a draw. 🙂 It's not a draw with 1/4 of a second on your clock though. If either side even stops to offer, they lose on time.
    I've seen GMs screw up a basic K+p at least 3 times with dozens of seconds to go. sometimes bad stuff just happens to good people. 🙂
  9. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 00:01
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I've seen GMs screw up a basic K+p at least 3 times with dozens of seconds to go. sometimes bad stuff just happens to good people. 🙂
    That's because they need to cope with the mouse move input as well...
  10. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '09 15:50
    your move 65 trick is nice, I should remember it for my games...
    by the way, white cannot lose on time on some sites in that position as black does not have mating material
  11. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    24 Sep '09 05:36
    I played 293 lightning games at ICC today. I think I'm addicted again. hehe
    I started at 11:00 AM, had a 30 minute lunch break, and resumed until 7:45 PM or so.

Here's my favorite game for the day. LOL

Black is a GM !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The funny thing is I only had 3 problems with other players all day.

A GM (not the one above) and another player (both high rated 2300+) premoved and dropped a piece to me in the opening. As the game progressed, both of these guys repeatedly offered me draws a piece down. The GM even went so far as to offer 4 draws in one game in lightning! I never new a titled player could have such bad etiquette.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree