Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 13 Nov '10 13:12
    Hi, excuse my ignorance but I am new to this site.
    I was playing 2 games against someone rated 2250 and have 2 very playable positions / edge in one of them but have just noticed that he has just been banned. When his clock expires do you receive the rating points? I only have 10 completed games so far and am keen to obtain a full rating; a realistic rating at that, which is not easy to do when I only seem to get open invites from under 1500 at the moment.
  2. 13 Nov '10 13:44
    Originally posted by queenabber
    Hi, excuse my ignorance but I am new to this site.
    I was playing 2 games against someone rated 2250 and have 2 very playable positions / edge in one of them but have just noticed that he has just been banned. When his clock expires do you receive the rating points? I only have 10 completed games so far and am keen to obtain a full rating; a realistic rat ...[text shortened]... hat, which is not easy to do when I only seem to get open invites from under 1500 at the moment.
    No, I don't think you'll get the rating points. Unlucky.
    Why not challenge some better players yourself?
  3. Standard member randolph
    the walrus
    13 Nov '10 16:00
    Originally posted by queenabber
    Hi, excuse my ignorance but I am new to this site.
    I was playing 2 games against someone rated 2250 and have 2 very playable positions / edge in one of them but have just noticed that he has just been banned. When his clock expires do you receive the rating points? I only have 10 completed games so far and am keen to obtain a full rating; a realistic rat ...[text shortened]... hat, which is not easy to do when I only seem to get open invites from under 1500 at the moment.
    It really is random whether or not you get the rating points. I recently got 2 wins against seniorpatzer, but I remember in the 2008 (I think?) championship, there were some 5 bannings and nobody got any rating points.
  4. 13 Nov '10 16:23
    The people who've completed lost games to banned cheaters don't get their points back. If the people who happen to be in the middle of losing to a cheater *win* points for their troubles, isn't it a double insult to the people who don't even recover the points they've lost?

    Both parties happened to play an invincible cheater, and it's just an arbitrary matter of timing that separates the two.
  5. 26 Nov '10 18:47
    I now have 2 games in limbo against banned players who have now timed out. There is a note against the games to wait. How long does one wait: still keen to get a full rating you see? I either get rating points; which I feel I should as have perfectly playable positions/edge in one or at least free up my boards as I can only play a maximum of six games at any one time.
  6. 26 Nov '10 19:52
    Originally posted by queenabber
    I now have 2 games in limbo against banned players who have now timed out. There is a note against the games to wait. How long does one wait: still keen to get a full rating you see? I either get rating points; which I feel I should as have perfectly playable positions/edge in one or at least free up my boards as I can only play a maximum of six games at any one time.
    It'll all come out in the wash, these things take time. Wether you get points, is a different matter. Maybe you will, maybe you wont.....ooohhhh the exceitment of it all.
  7. 30 Nov '10 15:12
    Originally posted by Hells Caretaker
    It'll all come out in the wash, these things take time. Wether you get points, is a different matter. Maybe you will, maybe you wont.....ooohhhh the exceitment of it all.
    Well, someone who wished to name anonymous, sent me a private message saying they were still waiting in a similar position 6 months after their opponent was banned. As far as I am concerned, there is a reasonable amount of time to do things and then there is complete inactivity! I would have though that as I am currently a non fee paying member, now effectively restricted to only 4 games at a time, taking care of such issues was the way to encourage people to subscribe?
  8. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    30 Nov '10 15:18
    Originally posted by queenabber
    Well, someone who wished to name anonymous, sent me a private message saying they were still waiting in a similar position 6 months after their opponent was banned. As far as I am concerned, there is a reasonable amount of time to do things and then there is complete inactivity! I would have though that as I am currently a non fee paying member, now effec ...[text shortened]... only 4 games at a time, taking care of such issues was the way to encourage people to subscribe?
    The point is always to send feedback. I think there is no automatic loss (there ahs been) and if you look at the site Championship Seniorpatzer (banned) has still open games, while others (like against Tigerking) have already been awarded.
  9. 30 Nov '10 19:41
    Originally posted by queenabber
    Well, someone who wished to name anonymous, sent me a private message saying they were still waiting in a similar position 6 months after their opponent was banned. As far as I am concerned, there is a reasonable amount of time to do things and then there is complete inactivity! I would have though that as I am currently a non fee paying member, now effec ...[text shortened]... only 4 games at a time, taking care of such issues was the way to encourage people to subscribe?
    I had'nt truly understood your game limit situation, I have empathy for you, 'Ponderable' has noted to send feedback have you done so?
  10. 30 Nov '10 19:55
    You could just resign both games. As his rating is 2250, the effect on your rating will be negligible, and you immediately get your two slots back. The down side is that you didn't *really* lose the games, but given that your opponent is never going to play on this site again, does it really matter? Up to you, of course, but that's probably what I would do in your position. Either that or subscribe, and then you can wait as long as you like and have infinite slots free.
  11. 30 Nov '10 20:01
    Originally posted by aquatabby
    You could just resign both games. As his rating is 2250, the effect on your rating will be negligible, and you immediately get your two slots back. The down side is that you didn't *really* lose the games, but given that your opponent is never going to play on this site again, does it really matter? Up to you, of course, but that's probably what I would do ...[text shortened]... her that or subscribe, and then you can wait as long as you like and have infinite slots free.
    Practical advice, but that's a pretty bitter pill to swallow, especially when it gives a win to a banned player.
  12. 30 Nov '10 20:21
    Originally posted by aquatabby
    You could just resign both games. As his rating is 2250, the effect on your rating will be negligible, and you immediately get your two slots back. The down side is that you didn't *really* lose the games, but given that your opponent is never going to play on this site again, does it really matter? Up to you, of course, but that's probably what I would do ...[text shortened]... her that or subscribe, and then you can wait as long as you like and have infinite slots free.
    That is a possible solution, but never! On principle, especially as I maintain I am slightly better in one and almost equal in the other. Rating wise I guess I would accept 2 draws just to resolve things, even though in OTB real life, without PC assistant, I was far higher rated, even as a junior, than my opponent.
  13. Standard member atticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    01 Dec '10 00:07
    Reality check required. We play for 'cartoon' ratings in here. Our ratings are a product of this local 'reality', not reality itself.

    So you're concerned that 'justice' will not be done if you resign games to a cheat, games indeed that you aren't even losing. Admin, you protest, should give you both games. Admin will, at some point, in the end, one day, in the fullness of time. And, hugely adding to your pride and sense of fulfilment, you'll inherit the 'cartoon' points as well. Bravo!

    Meanwhile, try waiting patiently. Try moving your life along. Try not to measure life's progress in ratings points earned. If you want a higher 'cartoon' rating, subscribe and enter tourneys, play lots of games.

    But if you wish to stick with what you get for free, take the advice already offered and ditch both games. You'll find it liberating and therapeutic. However, if that still doesn't persuade you, remain with what you've got and don't whine.
  14. 01 Dec '10 00:31
    Originally posted by atticus2
    Reality check required. We play for 'cartoon' ratings in here. Our ratings are a product of this local 'reality', not reality itself.

    So you're concerned that 'justice' will not be done if you resign games to a cheat, games indeed that you aren't even losing. Admin, you protest, should give you both games. Admin will, at some point, in the end, one day, ...[text shortened]... that still doesn't persuade you, remain with what you've got and don't whine.
    You are somewhat missing the point. Whether you care about your rating on RHP or not, some do. Unless I increase mine a lot, I struggle to get the stronger players to play me, which is the point of being on this site. Maybe I should just stick to playing against engines, I just thought this would be more sociable
  15. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    01 Dec '10 00:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by queenabber
    Well, someone who wished to name anonymous, sent me a private message saying they were still waiting in a similar position 6 months after their opponent was banned. As far as I am concerned, there is a reasonable amount of time to do things and then there is complete inactivity! I would have though that as I am currently a non fee paying member, now effec ...[text shortened]... only 4 games at a time, taking care of such issues was the way to encourage people to subscribe?
    Yep, I am...no great shakes to me though, the non subscriber is stuffed for maybe months, contact admin...the games CANNOT be resigned if they have an icon next to them, fact.
    Atticus is quite right, 'mickey mouse' rates apply here, the dedicated shouldn't be disillusioned by that though as there are plenty of good folk here that take great pride in every single point attained...horses for courses and all, other folk to the point of throwing flags out, with many losing games, at every opportunity, to keep their rate upward with those that they're winning and then post 'my best rate' in their profile. To the dedicated, I wish always good luck, you'll meet all types here...it's all in 'the experience.'