26 Jan '10 11:09
    Game 2513262

How did he possibly resign
  3. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 16:351 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    It's nothing to do with how high his rating was. He was banned because he achieved it by playing games like this: Game 2512657.

It was quite funny really. He wasn't a real cheat, he just created a few accounts here and shot to the top of the rankings by having them play against each other. He didn't do anyone any harm or waste anyone's time, it was and stays there for years, winning tournaments and helping his clan do well in the leagues.
    I'm not a game mod, but I used to play one at another site.
    This is a form of cheating called padding. Padding is usually done one of two ways. Either the guy's friends throw games, by resigning after a few moves, or walking into an early mate, or timing out in a faster time control, or the guy plays one of his many accounts against the other.

There are several variations of padding, the specific "trick" this guy used has been called "the yahoo rating trick." This is where the user has tens if not hundreds of nicks with different rating levels, the lower nicks feed the higher nicks until the highest nicks achieve rates over 3000+

One guy at yahoo at one time had a rating over 16,000. I've heard of 30,000, but never saw the guy myself, although at one time years ago I did see his profile. I've heard they finally installed a rating ceiling there, but again that is hearsay.

I just play chess there, and only once in a great while.

Oh yes, and BTW, this form of cheating here according to TOS in place SHOULD be covered under 3(b) because in effect, he is getting assistance, from the other nick to win games, not to mention 3(a) which is likely in his case.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree