Bent Larsen-Hardinge Simpole edition

Bent Larsen-Hardinge Simpole edition

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

Moves
20 Jun 09

I see there are 2 editions of Bent Larsen's Best games (master of counter-attack), Batsford and Hardinge-Simpole. The Batsford ed is out of print, leaving the Hardinge book the only I can find. Does anyone know if this is a good edition?

Z

Moves
20 Jun 09

I have the Hardinge Simpole edition from 2003. While this is one of my favourite chess books for the content, this edition is not a particularly good one. It seems to be a reprint of some earlier edition, with descriptive notation and somewhat clumsy diagrams. The paper quality could also be better.
If you can read german, there is a splendid new revised and expanded edition from SchachDepot titled "Alle Figuren greifen an".

MR

Moves
20 Jun 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Zaubernuss
I have the Hardinge Simpole edition from 2003. While this is one of my favourite chess books for the content, this edition is not a particularly good one. It seems to be a reprint of some earlier edition, with descriptive notation and somewhat clumsy diagrams. The paper quality could also be better.
I agree. The H-S edition is a photocopy of an earlier edition, and it has a slight loss of resolution due to the photocopy process. Also, it has a generic cover as shown on the H-S site. If I had to do it over again, I'd search for one of the out-of-print titles. (I think it was also issued under the titles, Bent Larsen's 50 Selected Games and Bent Larsen's Selected Games of Chess, or something close to that.)

In this 2005 Chessbase article (referencing a 1998 interview), Bent stated that he was planning to write the continuation "100 Selected Games." It would be nice if that one gets done. 🙂
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2241

d

Moves
29 Jun 09

I have the Batsford Edition (from 1992) and I can certainly recommend it for its lively annotations and autobiography, as well as for the interest of the games. It has the feeling of bringing you closer to the player than some older games collections.
The Batsford Edition is itself a copy of an original (English) 1970 Edition, by Bell and Sons, hence the descriptive notation and old fashioned appearance.

R

Moves
29 Jun 09

I'm waiting/hoping for an english language edition of 'Alle figuren greifen an'.
I'm actually considering converting to one of the major religions so I can pray for a dutch language edition 😉

MR

Moves
29 Jun 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Zaubernuss
If you can read german, there is a splendid new revised and expanded edition from SchachDepot titled "Alle Figuren greifen an".
Unfortunately I don't read German, but you've aroused my curiosity. Is "Alle Figuren greifen an" anywhere close to his promised "100 Selected Games"?

Edit - OK, found the description at the SchachDepot site and did a Babelfish translation. It doesn't say how many games, but it does say that it's volume 1, with a second volume to follow later. I wonder when volume 2 will be released? I hate waiting for later volumes - I think they just do it to torque people off. 🙁

So I'd have to wait for volume 2, then hope for an English translation of both books. I might die before all that happens, haha.

Z

Moves
29 Jun 09

Originally posted by Mad Rook
Unfortunately I don't read German, but you've aroused my curiosity. Is "Alle Figuren greifen an" anywhere close to his promised "100 Selected Games"?

Edit - OK, found the description at the SchachDepot site and did a Babelfish translation. It doesn't say how many games, but it does say that it's volume 1, with a second volume to follow later. I wonder wh ...[text shortened]... pe for an English translation of both books. I might die before all that happens, haha.
They say volume 1 alone has about 40% new material. Here is a translation of the table of contents:

Preface by the editors 7
Introduction 9
1 The beginning 11
2 International master 20
3 Scandinavian champion 23
4 Grandmaster! 26
5 Ups and downs 39
6 Experiments 49
7 Involontary break 64
8 A big step ahead 79
9 The ordeal of choice 106
10 The public demands sharp play 119
11 Satisfactory results 127
12 Fantastic results 141
13 Further successes 173
14 About my style 180
15 The best years 1969–1973 185
16 A genius named Bobby Fischer 235
17 Various articles 282
18 Bent Larsen – An extraordinary personality 318
Index
Larsen's tournament results until 1973
(328 pages)

I don't know if they are planning an english (or dutch) edition.