1. Joined
    21 Jan '11
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 17:53
    I've identified a number of elements in my game I would like to work on. One of those elements, is that of improving the strategic element of my game.

In that vein, does anyone have recommendations for a good basic primer on chess strategy, or perhaps one they have found most useful. I will delve into one of the classics like My System at some point in the future, but for now, looking more for a quick and dirty primer.

And thoughts or suggestions welcome
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 18:361 edit
    Originally posted by Murchu
    I've identified a number of elements in my game I would like to work on. One of those elements, is that of improving the strategic element of my game.

In that vein, does anyone have recommendations for a good basic primer on chess strategy, or perhaps one they have found most useful. I will delve into one of the classics like My System at some point in th ...[text shortened]... but for now, looking more for a quick and dirty primer.

Silman has some good stuff, i am reading, 'the amateurs mind', again! Simple chess by Michael Stean is also pretty good.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 19:23
    I don't get much from Silman. I like the Stean book. Perhaps it is because the Stean book doesn't try to cover nearly as much material.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '12
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 19:25
    Any book by Packman. Bit advanced , but good.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 19:331 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I don't get much from Silman. I like the Stean book. Perhaps it is because the Stean book doesn't try to cover nearly as much material.
    They both have the same types of things to consider, Silman has, minor pieces, pawn structure, space, material, files and squares, development and initiative, whereas as Stean has outposts, weak pawns, open files, half open files, colour complexes and space.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 20:57
    Originally posted by bruce coburn
    Any book by Packman. Bit advanced , but good.
    He has one for beginners too.

http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=Babylon&hsimp=yhs-002&type=br101dm25&p=ludek%20pachman%20chess%20strategies%20for%20beginners

The Instructor
  7. Joined
    21 Jan '11
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 22:46
    Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Had heard of the Silman books, although the Stean one is new on me. I have also realised I may have a friends copy of Euwe's Judgement and Planning in Chess knocking around somewhere also, and may try to unearth it, wherever it may be laying.

I'm hoping for something on the light side - how do the Silman or Stean books score on that front, or are they the sort of books that will take quite a bit of working through?

Where I'm coming from by the way, is that of having a level of comfort with the black pieces that I do not have with the white ones. I've put this down to a greater ease with counterattacking than actually having to formulate plans myself, thus my search for something to improve my positional/ strategic sense with.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 22:51
    I think Stean's Simple Chess is easier to work through than Silman's work.
  9. Joined
    21 Jan '11
    Moves
    25 Jul '13 20:451 edit
    Answering my own question, I have begun to work through Nunn's Understanding Chess Middlegames, and from what I've seen, like it so far. In a series of 100 short illustrative 2 pagers on specific points, the book is comprised of nice bite size chunks, and easy to pick up even if you only have enough time to work through one of the points and illustrative games.

This is just what I was looking for, and perhaps might be of use to others just looking for something light enough on general middle game play.
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    25 Jul '13 20:50
    Originally posted by Murchu

In that vein, does anyone have recommendations for a good basic primer on chess strategy, or perhaps one they have found most useful. I will delve into one of the classics like My System at some point in th ...[text shortened]... but for now, looking more for a quick and dirty primer.

Save yourself some cash and spend some time looking over the games of Smyslov (or Boris Gelfand). I think they are two of the best GM's to study, both of them have a silky, logical style. Smyslov particularly i feel. As a musician his chess style is particularly harmonious.. 😏
  11. Joined
    25 Sep '09
    Moves
    28 Jul '13 03:51
    New Ideas in Chess by Larry Evans. Great book. The Stean book is excellent as well. As is Pachman. Silman is ok, but there are many other books that are better IMHO.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree