1. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 18:452 edits
    OK, here's one I don't remember seeing. Since many people, me included, have more books than we'll ever read, the question is, which chess book do you think would look the best on a shelf?

You could go for visual aspects like size, color, etc. Or you could go for snob appeal like Fisher's My 60 Memorable Games, or even some rare book that nobody cares about except 80 year old chess book collectors. Feel free to use your own criteria.
  2. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 19:01
    Looking at my bookshelf, 'Art of Attack In Chess' by Vukovic stands out the most (Everyman Edition - John Nunn Algebraic reprinted 2006). The colour of the cover stands out (red cover with black/white lettering). There is no dodgy picture of chess pieces on the cover. The title is also memorable, being aggressive and intellectual. (I immediately compare with 'The Art of War'😉.

In terms of quality of finish and general appeal, I quite like San Luis 2005. The pages are glossy and the book is littered with numerous pictures. However, the title is pretty meaningless to non chess players.
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 19:23
    I'll throw out several ideas.

The Oxford Companion to Chess, 2nd ed. - Fairly good sized book, decent colors, and, hey, it has "Oxford" in the name!

Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations, and Games (hardcover ed), by Laszlo Polgar - It's huge! Also, cool photo of chess pieces on the front of the jacket. What's more, the spine of the jacket is impressive enough, so you don't even have to take it off the shelf. Even the publisher's logo is cool (Black Dog & Leventhal, with the outline of a dog.)

The King, by Donner - OK, maybe not too impressive visually, but LOTS of snob appeal among the hoity-toity crowd. 😛

And maybe my fav (at least with only a few minutes of thought):
    Shady Side, by John Hilbert - Decent sized book, cool blue dust jacket, cool fonts used for the title. And what better title than "Shady Side: The Life and Crimes of Norman Tweed Whitaker, Chess Master", complete with a front and side view mug shot on the front of the jacket.
  4. e4
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 20:111 edit
    200 Modern Chess Traps in the Fianchetto Openings by J.H.Howson.

Gray background and bright red letters.

This too has a 'dodgy looking' chess piece on the cover.
    (a Bishop that really does look like a giant willy).

Nice post - future Corner material here.
    Will appeal for pictures of their favourite chess book covers.

Cheers Mad Rook (thought you would like one with a Rook on the cover).
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 20:231 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    [b]200 Modern Chess Traps in the Fianchetto Openings by J.H.Howson.

Gray background and bright red letters.

This too has a 'dodgy looking' chess piece on the cover.
    (a Bishop that really does look like a giant willy).

Nice post - future Corner material here.
    Will appeal for pictures of their favourite chess book covers.

Cheers Mad Rook (thought you would like one with a Rook on the cover).[/b]
    Hmm, a rook on the cover...

Maybe an early McKay hardcover edition of "The Art of Sacrifice in Chess", by Rudolf Speilmann. A large rook on the front of the jacket and four smaller rooks on the spine of the jacket. And the jacket has a bright red background. (I'm mad, don't forget. 🙂 )
  6. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 00:01
    I like the cover of "The Immortal Game"
  7. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 00:07
    Funny, I googled it and there is a website on the book. It also has a play option and guess where it links? Here 😲
    http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/
  8. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 00:07
    The Quality Chess reprint of "My System" is handsome and classy looking.

I have a 1926 copy of Edward Lasker's "Chess Strategy". Beautiful brown hardcover still in great condition. Paid $9.50 (US) at an antique shop.

The Everyman Chess books often have interesting covers with the piece position on the cover reflecting what the book is about. The pieces lean threatingly towards each other and it's fun to look for the reflections.
  9. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 00:56
    LOL, great topic... 🙂

id have to say the gambiteer books look a little cool, and for rarity id like to have the greco manuscript 😲
  10. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 01:09
    One more...

Van Perlo's Endgame Tactics - For this one, it's the color. For some reason, the sunshine yellow color just makes me smile.🙂
  11. Joined
    21 May '07
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 03:03
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    The Quality Chess reprint of "My System" is handsome and classy looking.

I have a 1926 copy of Edward Lasker's "Chess Strategy". Beautiful brown hardcover still in great condition. Paid $9.50 (US) at an antique shop.

The Everyman Chess books often have interesting covers with the piece position on the cover reflecting what the book is about. The pieces lean threatingly towards each other and it's fun to look for the reflections.
    I have a 1935 reprint of the same book. Mine has a red hardcover and doesn't look like a chess book at all. It just looks old. I have read most of it too.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree