1. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 16:23
    Is going to a World Open or other big money tourny worth it? What's your experience? It seems like they would draw sandbaggers and under-rated scholastic players. Thing is after hotel, travel, and entry it would cost at least $600 to go to one of these. Really just want to know about people's experience.
  2. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 18:49
    I guess it depends on what you consider "worth it" for you. What do you hope to gain by going there? Is it the prize money? Maybe you think you've got the game to contend for one of the top placings in your section, and maybe you do. But it sounds like you've never played in one of these tournaments, and it's a whole different venue than a small weekend swiss. These events do attract sandbaggers. There's also a higher incidence of cheating. People who haven't got a clue about etiquette in the playing hall can be disruptive and disturb your concentration. Organizing these events is a tough job. Just keeping things flowing smoothly is quite a challenge. When things get out of sync, it can be distracting. You might play up to your usual standard through this type of atmosphere, but don't count on it.

If you want to try one of these tourneys, I recommend you just suck up the expenses and give it a shot for the experience. If you win something, fine. If not, see what you can pick up in terms of chess knowledge. A lot of post game analyzing goes on at these things, sometimes with input from really good players.
  3. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 21:33
    Originally posted by dkurth
    I
    If you want to try one of these tourneys, I recommend you just suck up the expenses and give it a shot for the experience. If you win something, fine. If not, see what you can pick up in terms of chess knowledge. A lot of post game analyzing goes on at these things, sometimes with input from really good players.
    I think it is worth experiencing a big tournament where the playing hall is filled with hundreds of chess players. However I'd suggest the National Open over the World Open; the Vegas tournament is not as big as the one in Philly, but is more pleasant and better organized.
  4. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    18 Dec '09 19:54
    absolutely, if you can afford it. You wont be playing all the guys you know at the club. People come prepared and motivated.
  5. Standard memberBorgov
    King-Flicker
    Leeds, UK.
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 14:13
    I play in a lot of Tourneys around the UK, the prize money is never great (and I never win anything big anyway) so with hotel, food and beer the weekend always costs me the best part of £200 - but I go for the games and the good time really - it’s nice to see people on the circuit that are from different parts of the country and you only catch up with every few months.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree