1. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '08 04:362 edits
    I often play Bird's Opening, and own three very good books on that opening:

Bird-Larsen Attack by GM Andrew Solits. This book recommends the move order 1 f4 and then 2 b3 against most Black first moves.

Winning with 1 f4 also by Soltis. Recommends the move order 1 f4 and then 2 Nf3.

Bird's Opening by IM Tim Taylor. This book was written was an IM who plays the Bird's against top-level competition on a regular basis. He kindly autographed my copy of his book at a recent tournament in L. A. He gives analysis of a wide variety of systems that White and Black can play after 1 f4.

For me personally, the only move against the Bird that I don't like to see is 1...e5 (From's Gambit). Black gets to have all the fun in the opening. If White's King survives the early violence, then White is just a pawn up with a good game. Otherwise, set 'em up again for the next game.....

Probably the only good way to avoid From's Gambit is to transpose into a King's Gambit (1 f4 e5 2 e4!?). That, however, requires a lot of study. Taylor thinks that the From's Gambit is barely sound, and White should emerge from the opening with an edge with correct play.
  2. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '08 04:42
    I have a chessbase Bird Opening Cd by Dmitrij Oleinkiov. I might have to peek at it again. I also have the book by IM Taylor.

Would transposing to a stonewall from the bird be good against KID set ups? I have a problem just with that normal developing.
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '08 04:45
    Originally posted by RabbitCold
    I have a chessbase Bird Opening Cd by Dmitrij Oleinkiov. I might have to peek at it again. I also have the book by IM Taylor.

Would transposing to a stonewall from the bird be good against KID set ups? I have a problem just with that normal developing.
    In general, the Stonewall setup (pawns on d4, e3 and f4) is only effective when Black plays ...d5. When Black has a pawn on d6 (which he usually does in a KID), White can't plant a knight on e5, which is a major theme in the Stonewall for White.
  4. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    10 Dec '08 07:54
    Someone said something about being happy when he sees my variation, because it's the very first thing a Bird player learns.

Please note that this doesn't contradict what I was saying. My main point is that the poster of this thread will NEED to learn all of this stuff, because if he doesn't, he's screwed. (If he does though, he will be fine, as you were saying)

Someone else said this is true of all openings. Not so. Most openings can be blagged quite easily. It is very rare in an opening to have your opponent force moves for 4 times in a row off you.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    10 Dec '08 13:50
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    Someone said something about being happy when he sees my variation, because it's the very first thing a Bird player learns.

Please note that this doesn't contradict what I was saying. My main point is that the poster of this thread will NEED to learn all of this stuff, because if he doesn't, he's screwed. (If he does though, he will be fine, as you ...[text shortened]... t is very rare in an opening to have your opponent force moves for 4 times in a row off you.
    Every opening has variations where one or other side is forcing the play. It helps to play through these things to know the kinds of problems you´re going to face, but I really don´t think it´s necessary to learn this stuff, as long as you´re aware that for a few moves you have to get it right. Nf3 is a natural move for white, and the follow up move of d4 is standard practice against gambit lines.

You also have to consider how likely you are to get 1. ... e5 as a reply. Most stronger players will adopt the standard set-up because they´re confident about their chances playing straightforwardly, and against weaker players there´s less to worry about anyway. Really you´ll face very few people who know what they´re doing with the gambit. You´ll play the position a lot more than they do (unless they open 1. f4 themselves) and since Bird´s opening has an undeservedly poor reputation you should get some false sense of security advantage.

Here you see From´s gambit quite a lot, but since opening books and databases are allowed it´s even less of a problem.

I also have the Taylor book. If you have that you have a good introduction to the opening. The Antoshin variation´s probably the one I´m most interested in at the moment.
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    10 Dec '08 15:33
    Originally posted by doodinthemood

Please note that this doesn't contradict what I was saying. My main point is that the poster of this thread will NEED to learn all of this stuff, because if he doesn't, he's screwed. (If he does though, he will be fine, as you ...[text shortened]... t is very rare in an opening to have your opponent force moves for 4 times in a row off you.
    well, it could of course also be that my opponents didn't know what they were doing. and I have messed up a lot of games against from's gambit in blitz. gut generally it doesn't pose much of a problem. you just make sure you have h4 covered with either Nf3 or g3 at all times and watch out for the Bxg3 sac, and you're pretty much set. and of course declining it also gives a nice game for white.

here's a short introduction from GM danielsen on how to handle 1.f5 e5:
    http://simnet.is/hdanielsen/polarbear/polarbear_intro2.html
  7. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    10 Dec '08 20:501 edit
    From's gambit is fine for white. I've played against it in 2 games and won both. I was never saying that it is bad for white.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Dec '08 23:04
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuDfzrbLEsM
  9. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 21:13
    That site Wormwood recommended earlier is really very good. I've been playing the Leningrad Dutch for a couple of months now and have been wanting to try the Bird. The Dutch really is seat of the pants stuff though as it just seems so crazy. Anyway, emboldened by this thread I've just played my first Bird:

Now granted that my opponent's CC rating is quite a bit lower than mine, but I just applied the same ideas I'd use in the Dutch and it seemed to work out ok. Onwards and upwards!
  10. Rural Ontario
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 00:16
    http://chessbase.com/shop/product.asp?pid=421

Hey look, a new opening DVD!
    Thought it might interest some people here.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree