1. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    21 Oct '06 00:461 edit
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    Erm.......let people learn whatever they want especially if they want to learn it.........Superman wants to learn it and if he does it will give him a clear edge over everyone who cant play blindfolded.

Do people really study one thing at a time? Iv got 4 chess books on the go and studying many more things from all parts of the game blindfolded chess in ...[text shortened]... tle would be "How to teach the any chess player to become stronger through blindfold chess" 😛
    You don't have to tell me. I'm an abstract random learner and teacher according to many tests I've taken in advanced psychology courses. I act like it, too. I'm a global learner. I don't teach or learn in any chronological order. I'm in the 5 percentile of personalities. For instance, I take one fact from one book at 10 years old, then at 11, I found another book that had another fact... By 35 (my age now) I know how to build a space shuttle. But, I didn't get around to knowing how to do it until I took all the chunks and put it into a whole. I can't truly build a space shuttle, but I was just giving you an example of how a global learner - like me - learns, teaches, etc... And so, concerning your four books and "does anyone ever study one thing at a time" idea, I totally understand. I'm worse than you are. 😛
    Incidentally, if anyone has a child on here, give them a teach on whether they have an abstract random learning style. If they do, DO NO put them into a public school! I had a terrible time in school and I was completely bored. AR children are very sensitive, dreamy and very creative. They're not CS or CR people (concrete systems or concrete random) like many math majors. Incidentally, I didn't even discover I was AR or why I had so many depressive moments in high school until I entered my advanced psychology course in college. My professor happened to be an AR personality. Go figure. hehe! She knew who I was instantly. AR should teach AR! It's a miracle when that happens! I'm only one of three people in that class out of fifty who scored an 'A' in her class. Finally someone could communicate ideas to me using abstract meanings. I love when things are out of control. I guess that's why I love chess. 🙂
  2. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    21 Oct '06 00:49
    Originally posted by powershaker
    Oh, I slightly beg to differ. The colors of squares are very important. Suppose we look at a position and realize that white is taking control of the white squares with his white squared bishop and black is going to play on the dark squares? Bedlam, surely with your rating, you understand that opposite colored bishops have some meaning? A seasoned pl ...[text shortened]... can maneuver the knight on a board without having sight of it. Helps with combinations, too.
    Its not the colour of the squares that matter but the squares themselves. When visulizing a chess board with say a powerful bishop on it the colour of that bishop wont mean much to me other than the fact its unopposed but the squares that it can go to and the enemy weaknesses squares will be caught up in the relationship to that bishop.

Colour is an essential part of chess every just about every opening is colour coded and players should seek to learn about colour complexs and how to spot them and go about controling them but its understanding the principles and relationship behind colour complexs that will show through in blindfolded chess.
  3. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    21 Oct '06 01:06
    You don't have to tell me. I'm an abstract random learner and teacher according to many tests I've taken in advanced psychology courses. I act like it, too. I'm a global learner. I don't teach or learn in any chronological order. I'm in the 5 percentile of personalities. For instance, I take one fact from one book at 10 years old, then at 11, I fou ...[text shortened]... . I love when things are out of control. I guess that's why I love chess. 🙂
    I got a very equal score between AS and CR......iv no idea what it means 😛
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    21 Oct '06 01:17
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    Visualizing the chess board when playing blindfolded......I know some people who do try and sometimes succeed at doing this but for me I recall the piece arangement without much board detail...for me learning the square colours of the board and learning to play blindfolded are quite different.
    this makes me think about how newbies relate to tactics. they tend to think it's enough to know how different tactical motifs work. where as we already know it's maybe 1% on the way to tactical dominance, maybe less.

that makes me wonder if people saying "blindfold ability doesn't help your chess" have a similar missunderstanding. maybe the 'good players' propagating that it doesn't, actually just barely manage to play blindfolded. but someone mastering the skill might still get a noteworthy advantage.
  5. back in business
    Moves
    21 Oct '06 12:20
    With your rating, I would forget playing blindfold chess. I would more readily study tactics, endgames, and then tactics, and then some more endgame. And, always open with e4. 🙂 In fact, I wouldn't even think of playing blindfold chess until I personally hit 2200 master.
    I think it is much harder to hit 2200 without practising blindfolded play.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree