1. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 03:26
    So I've just blundered away 2, maybe 3 games tonight, and I've been playing worse the past day or two than I was before. How long do you find you usually have to wait before you are capable of playing good "real" chess again. Hours, days? Is there anything you can do to refocus yourself into playing for real and not making it worse?

Also, I know I shouldn't resign these games yet, but it is tempting as it is so depressing to look at my stupid losses. I don't want to play slower in these games, but I think they have a negative psychological impact on my other games. Any suggestions?
  2. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 03:411 edit
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    So I've just blundered away 2, maybe 3 games tonight, and I've been playing worse the past day or two than I was before. How long do you find you usually have to wait before you are capable of playing good "real" chess again. Hours, days? Is there anything you can do to refocus yourself into playing for real and not making it worse?

Also, I know but I think they have a negative psychological impact on my other games. Any suggestions?
    Take a break. 🙂 Select a few games to take seriously, and take your time in those. Only play those games when you are at full mental capacity; relax and enjoy the other ones.

Having missed a mate in 1 yesterday, I should take my own advice. 🙄
  3. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 03:47
    It happens to everyone. Don't worry about it. If you're feeling stressed out, or uninspired, the best thing to do is take a break.
  4. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 03:56
    So there are no quick fixes like coffee or half an hour of tactics puzzles, or running or a cold shower?

Darn, I wish life were easier.
  5. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 04:02
    rest is your quick fix 🙂 Trust me, if you overwork yourself, you're going to be worse off.
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 04:06
    wait until you feel sharp again. blunders usually happen when you're tired etc. never move tired, fast or drunk. it just doesn't work, no matter how much you try to focus.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree