1. cleveland ohio
    Moves
    08 Jan '08 00:03
    I hope Bobby will return to the chessboard one day , I know he is crazy but i want to see if he still has what made him one of the great chess players of all time!
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '08 01:19
    Originally posted by richfeet
    I hope Bobby will return to the chessboard one day , I know he is crazy but i want to see if he still has what made him one of the great chess players of all time!
    How good is he today?

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Fischer
  3. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '08 01:341 edit
    i hear he is like a 2200 master....

and its amazing what time people put into those sites that let the users re-write the post.
  4. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '08 02:46
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    How good is he today?

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Fischer
    That website is awsome, the article about chess is hilarious😀
  5. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    08 Jan '08 17:18
    http://www.chessmetrics.com

Bobby Fischer will never return to chess. His path was predetermined by his patriotic obsession of Paul Morphy. His demands from FIDE reflected the actions of Morphy; even many of his games in the candidates match were recreations of Morphy's games.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '08 19:52
    Fischer is too chicken to play anyone decent. He knows he will get smashed by any modern grandmaster.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 06:02
    Originally posted by petrovitch
    http://www.chessmetrics.com

Bobby Fischer will never return to chess. His path was predetermined by his patriotic obsession of Paul Morphy. His demands from FIDE reflected the actions of Morphy; even many of his games in the candidates match were recreations of Morphy's games.
    What exactly do you mean by "patriotic"? Are you making a suggestion of US loyalty from Fischer?

I know he hates the US now. I don't know if he ever bought into the hype that was built around him as a symbol of America in the Cold War.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 13:54
    He was the last of the eccentric GM's, openly proclaiming his greatness. I miss that type of egoism, today's big shots are so milquetoast and drab there's nothing to get excited about. They need to inject some character and fun, maybe get some World Wrestling Fedreation people involved with helping them develop good guy/bad guy hype.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 14:011 edit
  10. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 14:11
    He was the last of the eccentric GM's, openly proclaiming his greatness. I miss that type of egoism, today's big shots are so milquetoast and drab there's nothing to get excited about. They need to inject some character and fun, maybe get some World Wrestling Fedreation people involved with helping them develop good guy/bad guy hype.
    The Topalov/Kramnik rivalry was quite fun. That made for a pretty intresting match up.
    I guess that back in the old days, even some of the world champions had 'day jobs' outside of chess, so they did not feel quite so bound by fide rulings and would challenge people if they felt aggreived.
    Modern players can make a living purely from playing, so are less inclined to take the risk of pissing off the wrong person as it is their source of income they are putting at risk.
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 17:07
    I think we need to have something where if you lose a piece then your opponent gets to give you a suplex.

Maybe have entering music in tournaments where the players can flex their muscles and taunt their opponents.

I think we probably need to have people grow up with less desire for rapid stimulation.

Having people throw insults at others just reduces/removes the class that is in the game, no?
  12. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 17:581 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What exactly do you mean by "patriotic"? Are you making a suggestion of US loyalty from Fischer?

I know he hates the US now. I don't know if he ever bought into the hype that was built around him as a symbol of America in the Cold War.
    patriarchal is what I meant. He is obsessed with the patterns of Morphy's life.

As to another post saying Fischer is too chicken ... that's not exactly his problem. He not afraid of anything. He was never afraid of playing Karpov as many have suggested. His problem is pathological narcissism.

Many of his accusations were proven true after the fall of the USSR. The Soviets and the press made his out to be crazy for his accusations, but most of the things he demanded were not for the good of Fischer, but for the good of chess. Like him or not, he did more for chess than Kasparov. Kasparov created the GMA and PCA to fulfill HIS demands. I agree the Soviet dominated FIDE was corrupt, but PCA was no better.

It is horrible in our eyes to witness the things he has said regarding the death of thousands of innocent people, but I have to ask myself, "What would you do if you were in his shoes?" He had KGB agents following him, the Pasadena police arrest him, copyright laws unenforced, his personal items sold. I'm not saying he is right by any means, but let's look at what has driven him to his state of mind.

Take another look at www.chessmetrics.com For the short time that he played he was/is the strongest player in history. Kasparov, Karpov, Lasker, and Alekhine held the spot for a longer period of time, but for that exact instant in history he reached a peak unsurpassed by anyone. I was really surprised at how low Morphy scored. Fischer always regarded him as one of the greatest players in history.
  13. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 23:22
    Originally posted by petrovitch
    patriarchal is what I meant. He is obsessed with the patterns of Morphy's life.

As to another post saying Fischer is too chicken ... that's not exactly his problem. He not afraid of anything. He was never afraid of playing Karpov as many have suggested. His problem is pathological narcissism.

Many of his accusations were proven true after the fa ...[text shortened]... low Morphy scored. Fischer always regarded him as one of the greatest players in history.
    Morphy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>all others
  14. San Francisco, CA US
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 01:27
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    [b]The Topalov/Kramnik rivalry was quite fun. That made for a pretty intresting match up.
    I guess that back in the old days, even some of the world champions had 'day jobs' outside of chess, so they did not feel quite so bound by fide rulings and would challenge people if they felt aggreived.
    Modern players can make a living purely from playing, s ...[text shortened]... ort won the right to challenge him, Kasparov predicted, "It will be Short and it will be short."
    The Topalov/Kramnik rivalry was quite fun. That made for a pretty intresting match up.
    Modern players can make a living purely from playing, so are less inclined to take the risk of pissing off the wrong person as it is their source of income they are putting at risk.

Kasparov was lots of fun. Before Nigel Short won the right to challenge him, Kasparov predicted, "It will be Short and it will be short."
  15. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 01:33
    Originally posted by ParShooter
    [b]The Topalov/Kramnik rivalry was quite fun. That made for a pretty intresting match up.
    Modern playe ...[text shortened]... won the right to challenge him, Kasparov predicted, "It will be Short and it will be short."
    Yeah, Kasparov was a good champion too, with a bit of luck putin will push him back out of politics and back onto the chess board.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree