Moves
    04 Aug '12 13:191 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Yes of his era.
    Fischer said something like give him a month or two to get booked up
    and he would be a contender.
    Maybe, maybe not. We will never know.

But his influence on the game and the publicity he brought to the game
    in just 4 active years! should not be underrated.
    His games inspired Steinitz (who was known for a while as 'The Austrian M ts to set the game back 150 years, greenpawn, that
    most handsome of chess players, failed.
    I think Fischer went even further than that GP and stated that he was the greatest
    chess genius of all time, Fischer sometimes taking as long as twenty minutes to figure
    out Morphys moves, or words to that effect. I think we can take it, Fischer knows what
    he is talking about in chess terms. His other appraisals of chess players are less
    flattering, he liked Capa but bemoans that he never worked at the game and he
    chastises Alekhine as having seen one game you seen them all. Personally i am still
    amazed at Morphys games, no matter how many times I play through them, they are
    rich, creative and utterly astounding in some instances. To say that Morphy would not
    cut it with todays GM's is a nonsense and whoever uttered it wants his bum felt!
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 13:23
    Yes of his era.

His games inspired Steinitz (who was known for a while as 'The Austrian M ...[text shortened]... ts to set the game back 150 years, greenpawn, that
    the most handsome relative to a hairless chihuahua! 😵
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 23:261 edit
    Yes of his era.

His games inspired Steinitz (who was known for a while as 'The Austrian M ts to set the game back 150 years, greenpawn, that
    I wonder how an IGM Elo 2785 etc "books up."
    I mean they open up MCO read a variation, then bust it etc. 😕
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 12:021 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I wonder how an IGM Elo 2785 etc "books up."
    I mean they open up MCO read a variation, then bust it etc. 😕
    does anyone have or use MCO, whats it like? is it like a huge book of pgn's? each
    giving an evaluation of the position? I notice that when I finish a game sometimes i get
    the little symbol, B27, which i suspect is a reference to some opening.
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 13:41
    The opening codes are from the Encyclopaedia of Chess Openings (usually referred to as ECF):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encyclopaedia_of_Chess_Openings

When I was a youngster my local library only had two chess books - a selection of Bronstein's best games and a copy of ECF volume 1 (flank and unusual openings). I had the latter out almost continuously for about a year because, being a beginner, I thought openings were the most important thing about chess.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 14:18
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    The opening codes are from the Encyclopaedia of Chess Openings (usually referred to as ECF):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encyclopaedia_of_Chess_Openings

When I was a youngster my local library only had two chess books - a selection of Bronstein's best games and a copy of ECF volume 1 (flank and unusual openings). I had the latter out almost continuousl ...[text shortened]... a year because, being a beginner, I thought openings were the most important thing about chess.
    gulp, only two, we have a large selection, I have read not a few, but it doesn't seem to
    make any difference, I have resolved myself to the fact, that you cannot learn to be a
    good chess player, either you are, or you are not. Its like drawing and painting, either
    you can draw or paint, or you cannot, I do not believe the nurture argument, its all
    nature.
  7. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 18:05
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    gulp, only two, we have a large selection, I have read not a few, but it doesn't seem to
    make any difference, I have resolved myself to the fact, that you cannot learn to be a
    good chess player, either you are, or you are not. Its like drawing and painting, either
    you can draw or paint, or you cannot, I do not believe the nurture argument, its all
    nature.
    Horsefeathers, balderdash, and and hooie. Anyone can learn to draw, paint, and become a good chess player. I learned to play chess in 2009 and I'm 2000 OTB right now. That doesn't have anything to do with something that I had innately or didn't but rather because I study all the time.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Aug '12 18:343 edits
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    Horsefeathers, balderdash, and and hooie. Anyone can learn to draw, paint, and become a good chess player. I learned to play chess in 2009 and I'm 2000 OTB right now. That doesn't have anything to do with something that I had innately or didn't but rather because I study all the time.
    with all due respect my learned friend, I disagree, not everyone can learn to paint or
    draw. I remember the efforts of my class fellows which can be best described as
    pitiful, from a young age it was apparent that some were musical, some could paint or
    draw, others had a inclination for logic and mathematics, others for abstract thought.
    Yes one can study the masters, I know, i used to sit in museums copying the artefacts
    and exhibits when i was an art student, but its not the forte of all. People often cite the
    Polgar sisters, but no amount of hard work can make up for natural talent, yes you
    may achieve a rating of 2000 OTB, but does it not seem that it should be somewhat
    easier than it is or is it a case of no pain no gain? I believe you must have at least
    some aptitude for chess, not merely for learning, because we dont learn chess the
    same way as we do, mathematics for example.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree