1. Joined
    21 Dec '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 17:371 edit
    The only opportunity I find for studying chess is while taking a train. So books with lots of diagrams are of great help as I can't use the board. For example I am currently going through Good Move Guide by Bent Larsen and it suits me fine.
    What other books can be used this way?
  2. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 18:32
    Originally posted by iru
    The only opportunity I find for studying chess is while taking a train. So books with lots of diagrams are of great help as I can't use the board. For example I am currently going through Good Move Guide by Bent Larsen and it suits me fine.
    In my opinion it is impossible to read a chess book which is intended to improve your play without at least one chess board in front of you.

Get yourself a travelling chess set. I use one of these: http://tinyurl.com/yfyecd
    It was quite expensive (I paid about £12) but very durable and folds up nice and flat.
  3. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 20:20
    try Lev Alburt:Chess Training Pocket Book some nice tactics' book preatty usefull...I liked it
  4. Joined
    21 Dec '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 20:29
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    In my opinion it is impossible to read a chess book which is intended to improve your play without at least one chess board in front of you.

Get yourself a travelling chess set. I use one of these: http://tinyurl.com/yfyecd
    It was quite expensive (I paid about £12) but very durable and folds up nice and flat.
    Thanks for your answer, Fat Lady. I tend to agree with what you say but I find at least 2 additional benefits in reading book without board:
    1) no time spent to set a position
    2) training of your calculation ability
  5. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 20:38
    Originally posted by iru
    Chess by Lazlo Polgar. A huge number of problems. Ideal for keeping you amused on a long journey.

Understanding Chess tactics by Martin Weteschnik. Lots of diagrams and the author comments that it is intended to be readable without a board.
  6. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 20:40
    Originally posted by iru
    Thanks for your answer, Fat Lady. I tend to agree with what you say but I find at least 2 additional benefits in reading book without board:
    1) no time spent to set a position
    2) training of your calculation ability
    There are a couple of books called 303 tricky chess puzzles and another called 303 tricky checkmates which are very good and have diagrams. It is helping my visualization quite a bit.
  7. Joined
    02 Mar '07
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 21:06
    Any book of puzzles works well without a board
  8. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 21:09
    but they work even better "with" a board.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '07 20:21
    Ken Smith wrote a couple of endgame books in which every move is diagramed.

Larry Evans and Ken Smith co-authored a book on the 1972 Fischer-Spassky match in which every move has a comment and a diagram.
  10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '07 21:34
    Analysing without a chessboard in front of you means that you can't play through the sidelines or try your own ideas out.

To get the best out of a chess book you should spend ages on each game, trying to understand why each side chose the plans they did and why the plans you may think of are inferior. If the author has chosen the games well then each one will merit hours of study.

It seems a pity to waste good study time on stuff which isn't going to improve your chess much.
  11. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    07 Sep '07 13:571 edit
    However, it would be very good for visualisation training if you can manage to follow these books without a chessboard.

EDIT: I am going through "How To Reassess Your Chess". While at home I will go through a particular chapter with a chessboard. While on the train I will read through that same chapter and try and visualise what I went through before.
  12. Joined
    05 Aug '07
    Moves
    07 Sep '07 14:05
    Chess endgame quiz by Larry Evans.Mutliple choice format.With each position you get 3 options and you must try to work out which is the correct move.No need for a board,in an OTB game you can't shuffle the pieces around either.
  13. Big D
    Moves
    07 Sep '07 14:54
    Originally posted by iru
    Try the Weltgeschichte des Schach books on Anderssen, Chigorin, Lasker, Capablanca, Botvinnik, Keres, Euwe, Petrosian, Tal or Spassky. The books cover most of the careers of the giants of chess and there is a diagram every fifth move, so you can play through each of the games sans board. The only drawback is that they are out of print and some are becoming quite expensive.
  14. washington
    Moves
    07 Sep '07 15:28
    weapons of chess bruce pandolfini, very good book!
  15. Joined
    21 Dec '06
    Moves
    07 Sep '07 18:34
    Many thanks to everybody - I will look for the books that you suggest.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree