Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    17 Dec '20 20:26
    I've never tried it. Has anyone here ever played blindfold chess?
  2. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    17 Dec '20 21:20
    Nope.

I try to see a board and pieces with my eyes closed but I can't. 😔
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    17 Dec '20 22:59
    @vivify said
    Yes, I find it easy to play one blindfold game.
    Playing three or four blindfold games simultaneously requires more concentration.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    18 Dec '20 01:34
    @vivify said
    I can get through the first 8 - 10 moves in my mind, as well as see well known positions, but can't make it through an entire game before things become confused.
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    18 Dec '20 03:55
    @mchill said
    I can get through the first 8 - 10 moves in my mind, as well as see well known positions, but can't make it through an entire game before things become confused.
    If you cannot visualize all 64 squares at once, then divide the board into quadrants.
    Then you just have to visualize four quadrants of sixteen squares apiece.
    It does introduce an issue of visualizing connections among the quadrants.

If I, as a young player, played a dozen blitz games in an evening, I almost always
    could correctly write down all the moves (perhaps 500) from memory afterward.
    (The hardest part was keeping the games distinct in my memory.)
    I was surprised when most other players could not do this.

If someone mentions a square, say, f7, I instantly see it in my mind, not only its
    location but also its color.
  6. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    18 Dec '20 07:50
    If I play a game OTB I can replay all of the moves from memory and it does impress lower rates players but it's not hard to do.

I can only do that for the last game played though.
    If I try to do it for multiple games I played I get memory lapses and mistakes.
  7. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    18 Dec '20 08:01
    @cheesemaster said
    If I play a game OTB I can replay all of the moves from memory and it does impress lower rates players but it's not hard to do.

I can only do that for the last game played though.
    If I try to do it for multiple games I played I get memory lapses and mistakes.
    Yes, I can also recall OTB games I have only just played, and I am not a strong player.

I struggle with blindfold though, but I understand with practice, I should be able to. I just haven't put that effort in.
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    18 Dec '20 13:25
    @lausey said
    Yes, I can also recall OTB games I have only just played, and I am not a strong player.

I struggle with blindfold though, but I understand with practice, I should be able to. I just haven't put that effort in.
    As a child, I could play blindfold chess rather easily. I played a few blindfold games simultaneously.
    So I find it interesting (a bit surprising) that other players struggle to play even one blindfold game.
  9. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    18 Dec '20 18:45
    @duchess64 said
    If you cannot visualize all 64 squares at once, then divide the board into quadrants.
    Then you just have to visualize four quadrants of sixteen squares apiece.
    It does introduce an issue of visualizing connections among the quadrants.

If I, as a young player, played a dozen blitz games in an evening, I almost always
    could correctly write down all the moves (perhaps 50 ...[text shortened]... entions a square, say, f7, I instantly see it in my mind, not only its
    location but also its color.
    Many years ago the blindfold chessmaster , George Koltanowski , explained to me that the quadrant idea was how he played blindfold simultaneous exhibitions . It is mind boggling to imagine playing 12 blindfold games at the same time . One game I can handle easily .
  10. Bolton
    Moves
    21 Dec '20 03:39
    @caissad4 said
    Many years ago the blindfold chessmaster , George Koltanowski , explained to me that the quadrant idea was how he played blindfold simultaneous exhibitions . It is mind boggling to imagine playing 12 blindfold games at the same time . One game I can handle easily .
    👍😑🎖🚬
  11. Bolton
    Moves
    21 Dec '20 15:48
    Melody Amber, is a clue.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Dec '20 17:47
    @vivify
    I was able to only play 3 games blindfold at once.
    I won 2 and drew 1.
  13. Standard membercongruent
    Chess Player
    Cyberspace
    Moves
    21 Dec '20 22:39
    Just do a Philidor and visualise when you have trouble sleeping- Philidor demonstrated his ability to play up to three blindfold games simultaneously with great success, with newspapers highlighting his achievement, having taught himself to visualize the board while in bed at night when he had trouble sleeping.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    22 Dec '20 05:14
    @sonhouse said
    @vivify
    I was able to only play 3 games blindfold at once.
    I won 2 and drew 1.
    "On Dec 3, 2016, Timur Gareyev played 48 opponents with a mask before his eyes
    and sitting on an exercise bike, resulting in 35 wins, 7 draws, and 6 losses."
    --Wikipedia

"While blindfold chess has been recommended in moderation by many sources as a
    method of increasing one's playing strength, simultaneous blindfold exhibitions were
    officially banned in 1930 in the USSR as they were deemed to be a health hazard."
    --Wikipedia
  15. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    22 Dec '20 10:10
    Yesterday I put my queen on b3 and my opponent took it with his Bishop.

I resigned.

Blindfold chess is the least of my problems 😔