1. Joined
    06 Apr '04
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 00:15
    Ive never done this before it seems like my next move would fall into this category game #1769616
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 00:20
    Originally posted by jbaca
    Ive never done this before it seems like my next move would fall into this category game #1769616
    from the F.A.Q:

How do I claim a draw?
    A draw can be claimed without any interaction from your opponent under a number of conditions. These are as follows:

No piece capture or pawn movement has occurred for over 50 consecutive moves (100 half moves). Therefore the game has not progressed and a draw may be claimed by either player during their next move.

Insufficient material remains on the board to finish the game. If only two kings remain then either player may claim a draw during their next move.

Third repetition of a position. If any identical position appears three times during a game, then the game can be claimed as a draw. Please note that each repetition must be identical with regards to en passant and castling availability. A draw can only be claimed along with a move that contributes to a repetition. Claiming after the repetition has occurred is not possible, unless the same position can be repeated again on a future move.
  3. Joined
    06 Apr '04
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 00:25
    I read the faq thanks but could you look @ my game
  4. The sky
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 00:28
    Originally posted by jbaca
    I read the faq thanks but could you look @ my game
    The rule doesn't mean that you can claim a draw if you repeat the same move three times. It's about reaching the same position. So no, you can't claim a draw.
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 01:32
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    The rule doesn't mean that you can claim a draw if you repeat the same move three times. It's about reaching the same position. So no, you can't claim a draw.
    I once had someone do something similiar to me like the mentioned.

I was promoting a pawn and had a knight and king and he my opponent knew he was going to lose. So he move his king back and forth on the same squares and claimed draw by 3 repetition 🙂

I enlighten him on the subject and he resigned and stormed out of the chess room,online, with some bad words.
  6. Joined
    19 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 09:28
    Originally posted by wormwood
    from the F.A.Q:

How do I claim a draw?
    A draw can be claimed without any interaction from your opponent under a number of conditions. These are as follows:

No piece capture or pawn movement has occurred for over 50 consecutive moves (100 half moves). Therefore the game has not progressed and a draw may be claimed by either player during their next mo ...[text shortened]... n has occurred is not possible, unless the same position can be repeated again on a future move.
    So what if I have two Knights, and by some chance over several moves they swap positions with each other three times while everything else remains constant.

Is this still a draw given that the Knights were not the 'same' exact Knights during every repeated position?
  7. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 09:34
    Originally posted by Jack Gable
    So what if I have two Knights, and by some chance over several moves they swap positions with each other three times while everything else remains constant.

Is this still a draw given that the Knights were not the 'same' exact Knights during every repeated position?
    Interesting point. Of course, if all you have is 2 knights, then the game is drawn anyway. But I think that situation is highly unlikely, as your knights would somehow have to get into a position where they could keep checking the opposite colored king only between 2 squares, which isn't easy.
  8. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 10:48
    It doesn't matter if they are the 'same' knight (Or the same rook or queen, for that matter).

If the same position occurs 3 times, with the same person to move, and ep and castling rights are the same, then a draw can be claimed.
  9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    02 Mar '06 19:38
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    Interesting point. Of course, if all you have is 2 knights, then the game is drawn anyway. But I think that situation is highly unlikely, as your knights would somehow have to get into a position where they could keep checking the opposite colored king only between 2 squares, which isn't easy.
    I don't think he's talking about an endgame situation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree