Capablanca Chess Variant

Capablanca Chess Variant

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a

Moves
26 Sep 07

Ok - here's an idea about how to make chess more interesting and reduce the number of draws for top players.

Why couldn't the site be expanded to include chess variants (and league tables for these) such as Capablanca chess. ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capablanca_chess )

With the current advanced development of opening theory and worries over 'engine use' in correspondence chess then I think it would be interesting to give users of the site an opportunity to build up an interest and work out new theory for a possibe successor to chess - one that computers haven't already figured out the best moves for.

Surely it'd be a simple matter to be able to create a new 10*8 game with archbishops and chancellors etc?

Just an idea - please don't all flame me at once. 😀

FL

Moves
26 Sep 07

Originally posted by adricsrevenge
Ok - here's an idea about how to make chess more interesting and reduce the number of draws for top players.

Why couldn't the site be expanded to include chess variants (and league tables for these) such as Capablanca chess. ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capablanca_chess )

With the current advanced development of opening theory and worries o ...[text shortened]... archbishops and chancellors etc?

Just an idea - please don't all flame me at once. 😀
Brain King (http://brainking.com/) is a good site to play chess variants.

z

Moves
26 Sep 07

I too am interested in chess variants, and was interested in Gothic Chess for quite a while.

However, this one now interests me even more:

Birds and Ninjas
http://chess.computerwebservices.net/birds.php

It has two new pairs of pieces . A fly over and a leaper piece.
I think the 10x10 boards are the most intriguing.

www.omegachess.com is the most successful commercial variant, and i believe better than Gothic/capablanca chess. I am keeping an eye for free variants such as Birds and Ninjas though

a

Moves
26 Sep 07

I like the look of Omega chess - so much so that I think I might buy one and try it out with the kids.

They'll like the 'wizard' pieces if nothing else - I can just envision them taking my piece whilst loudly proclaiming "Expelliarmus!!!"

R

Moves
27 Sep 07

I like Fischer random chess. Screw opening preparation; it's all about true positional understanding.

v

Moves
27 Sep 07

Originally posted by Ramiri15
I like Fischer random chess. Screw opening preparation; it's all about true positional understanding.
same for me...but I am afraid that if this variant will become very popular they will start to create opening theory for each and every starting position 🙁

s

Moves
27 Sep 07
3 edits

Originally posted by vipiu
same for me...but I am afraid that if this variant will become very popular they will start to create opening theory for each and every starting position 🙁
Well, you've seen how long it's taken to develop opening theory for just one starting position. Fischer Random Chess has 960 starting positions. So no matter how popular FRC gets, I don't think we'll have to worry about FRC theory catching up to standard chess theory any time in the next few thousand years or so.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
27 Sep 07

Originally posted by synesis
Well, you've seen how long it's taken to develop opening theory for just one starting position. Fischer Random Chess has 960 starting positions. So no matter how popular FRC gets, I don't think we'll have to worry about FRC theory catching up to standard chess theory any time in the next few thousand years or so.
How long in average it takes you to decide on the first move on this chess variant?

s

Moves
27 Sep 07
1 edit

Ok.. a bit of calculation...

Standard chess played by the rules we have today has been played for hundreds of years; but let's say that most of the theory for the single starting position in standard chess has been developed only over the last 100 years.

Fischer Random Chess has 960 starting positions. So even if FRC ever became as popular as standard chess (not very likely), and if it only takes an average of 100 years to develop as much theory for each of the FRC starting positions as it did for the standard chess starting position, it will take 96,000 years to develop as much theory for FRC as there is for standard chess.

So I wouldn't lose too much sleep over that possibility. 😉

z

Moves
27 Sep 07

But the question is why play a shuffle chess variant when you can play a similar game with new pieces - the theory of which will take a 100 years to catch up anyway? And unlike Fischer Random, games like Birds and Ninjas, or Omega have a more hamonious feel to them. You have pieces starting out on logical squares, not in some jumbled fashion.

s

Moves
27 Sep 07

Originally posted by zin23
But the question is why play a shuffle chess variant when you can play a similar game with new pieces - the theory of which will take a 100 years to catch up anyway? And unlike Fischer Random, games like Birds and Ninjas, or Omega have a more hamonious feel to them. You have pieces starting out on logical squares, not in some jumbled fashion.
I wouldn't play either one of them. I prefer to stick to standard chess. 🙂

z

Moves
27 Sep 07

You don't have the time - I guess?

I have played them all and I actually prefer both Birds/Ninjas and Omega to standard chess.

s

Moves
27 Sep 07

Originally posted by zin23
You don't have the time - I guess?

I have played them all and I actually prefer both Birds/Ninjas and Omega to standard chess.
These variants just aren't popular enough for me. If there were as many Birds/Ninjas players or FRC players as there are standard chess players, then maybe I'd consider playing them. But, as it is, I have a hard enough time finding standard chess players in my neighborhood, nevermind players of these chess variants.

m

Moves
28 Sep 07

chess is chess... all those variants are ok but it will only avoid computers while it is not official chess.... you cant enable computrers on chess unless you put a dice in the game or something like that... but it wouldnt be not chess anymore. If a guy want to cheat on RHP I"m ok with that, I just think he's a looser, dont care to loose a game for them... whatever.

g

Moves
28 Sep 07

Originally posted by adam warlock
How long in average it takes you to decide on the first move on this chess variant?
Playing the opening in Fischer random chess is like playing in the middle game in chess at about move four to twelve. In the opening in chess you can play the opening move in less then five seconds. In Fischer random chess I may have taken more then three minutes too play the first move. Generally I play the first move in less then a minute.