1. timed out again
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 08:33
    Magnus Carlsen’s aura of invincibility has cracked. The Norwegian became, at 19, the youngest ever world No1 with an all-time rating second only to Garry Kasparov. But a run of five defeats in nine games at the Olympiad and now in Bilbao has cost him the top chess ranking and made him look vulnerable. Carlsen’s three losses at the Olympiad, including one to the England No1 Michael Adams, sparked rumours that he had been pressured into playing to aid Norway’s successful bid to host the 140-nation event in 2014. His opening-round defeats at Bilbao by Vlad Kramnik and Vishy Anand meant that India’s world chess champion became No1 in the daily rankings. Carlsen denied there was ...

Saw above on a couple of websites. Is he really in a crisis?
  2. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 10:341 edit
    I'm thinking no. He defeated Topalov in 32 moves four days ago, and he is 5/7 and leading in Nanjing.

EDIT: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6771
  3. c6
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 10:54
    IMHO, his youthful inexperience hasn't been completely tempered yet. It's completely natural that old dogs like Anand should be able to give him what-for on occasion. Carlsen will still rise to be a[n even more] phenomenal player, but he's not even old enough to drink, Stateside. Of course he'll suffer bad tournaments.
  4. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 13:39
    Originally posted by EinZweiDrei
    IMHO, his youthful inexperience hasn't been completely tempered yet. It's completely natural that old dogs like Anand should be able to give him what-for on occasion. Carlsen will still rise to be a[n even more] phenomenal player, but he's not even old enough to drink, Stateside. Of course he'll suffer bad tournaments.
    Once he's old enough to drink, then it will be over.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    29 Oct '10 13:03
    Originally posted by Maxacre42
    Once he's old enough to drink, then it will be over.
    Ain't that the truth!
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '10 13:221 edit
    Originally posted by enrico20
    Magnus Carlsen’s aura of invincibility has cracked. The Norwegian became, at 19, the youngest ever world No1 with an all-time rating second only to Garry Kasparov. But a run of five defeats in nine games at the Olympiad and now in Bilbao has cost him the top chess ranking and made him look vulnerable. Carlsen’s three losses at the Olympiad, including ...[text shortened]... sen denied there was ...

Saw above on a couple of websites. Is he really in a crisis?
    Yeah, he's in a crisis, big time. He just won Nanjing.

Update:
    http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6777

BTW, I find it curious that you take one line (...Carlsen's aura of invincibility has cracked) and translate that into a crisis. What, you write for the gossip rags in the supermarket? 😉
  7. timed out again
    Moves
    29 Oct '10 15:31
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Yeah, he's in a crisis, big time. He just won Nanjing.

Update:
    http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6777

BTW, I find it curious that you take one line (...Carlsen's aura of invincibility has cracked) and translate that into a crisis. What, you write for the gossip rags in the supermarket? 😉
    LOL! It wasn't me who put together the story. Defeats at the Olympiad and then poor form in the Bilbao final masters pointed to a "crisis".

Carlsen mini-crisis continues
    http://www.chess.co.uk/twic/malcolmpein/carlsen-mini-crisis-continues
  8. Joined
    26 Jan '10
    Moves
    29 Oct '10 23:50
    Carlsen mini-crisis continues
    http://www.chess.co.uk/twic/malcolmpein/carlsen-mini-crisis-continues
    Hmmm.

"Carlsen mini-crisis continues" by IM Malcolm Pein

Interesting. An International Master annotating a super-GM game and declaring a crisis? That is quite dramatic
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 14:08
    LOL! It wasn't me who put together the story. Defeats at the Olympiad and then poor form in the Bilbao final masters pointed to a "crisis".
    Oh, dear, it's true. He has failed to win first prize in two whole tournaments!!!@!@!@ And what's worse, none of his fanbois are capable of getting a grip even if provided with a vise, a roll of duct tape, and a monkey wrench designed specifically for the purpose of grip, tight, the getting thereof.

Gerralife.

Richard
  10. timed out again
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 17:06
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Oh, dear, it's true. He has failed to win first prize in [b]two whole tournaments!!!@!@!@ And what's worse, none of his fanbois are capable of getting a grip even if provided with a vise, a roll of duct tape, and a monkey wrench designed specifically for the purpose of grip, tight, the getting thereof.

Gerralife.

Richard[/b]
    How many defeats did Carlsen have in the Olympiad? How many world champions/top fide rated players have ever had such a run of defeats at the Olympiad?

YouTube
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 17:47
    How many defeats did Carlsen have in the Olympiad? How many world champions/top fide rated players have ever had such a run of defeats at the Olympiad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdCnzQ5RyFU
    Gee, and didn't Carlsen just win the Nanjing super-tournament by a full point?

I think its clear he didn't take the Olympiad very seriously. I don't know what it is about Carlsen that makes people want to doubt him. Maybe its because he's not Russian, or something.
  12. timed out again
    Moves
    30 Oct '10 17:59
    Originally posted by Erekose
    Gee, and didn't Carlsen just win the Nanjing super-tournament by a full point?

I think its clear he didn't take the Olympiad very seriously. I don't know what it is about Carlsen that makes people want to doubt him. Maybe its because he's not Russian, or something.
    Speaking of Russians, here is Carlsen's loss in 25 moves to a GM from Russia's 4 team.

Not long ago in this same forum, people were debating the monstrous ratings some people (like Carlsen) have. I was of the view that these 2800 or 2900 guys are way over-rated and look what happened to Carlsen at the Olympiad.
  13. Joined
    16 Aug '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 00:14
    As the most of you already know: Magnus is back on the top!
    Latest update oct 29-10: Magnus rated 2813,0
    Anand : 2804.4
    Aronian : 2801.4

I think my fellow norwegian is still doing a good job!
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 00:20
    www.phsychelp.com
  15. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 00:47
    Speaking of Russians, here is Carlsen's loss in 25 moves to a GM from Russia's 4 team.

[pgn][Event "Chess Olympiad"] [Site "Khanty-Mansiysk RUS"] [Date "2010.10.01"] [EventDate "2010.09.21"] [Round "10"] [Result "1-0"] [White "Sanan Sjugirov"] [Black "Magnus Carlsen"] [ECO "B12"] [WhiteElo "2627"] [BlackElo "2826"] [PlyCount "49"] 1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. e ...[text shortened]... are way over-rated and look what happened to Carlsen at the Olympiad.
    It's pretty funny that you're saying all this after he just crushed Nanjing 2010, one of the strongest tournaments ever- three players over 2800.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree