1. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jul '12 03:31
    After 1.e4 c6 2. Nf3 d5 3. e5 Bf5 4. d4 e6 5. h3 Ne7 6. Bd3, is 6...Bxd3 objectively better than 6...Nd7 ?
  2. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    11 Jul '12 03:58
    Bxd3 is better, it forces white to respond with the Q recapture. Nd7 allows white a free developing move like Nc3 or 00.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jul '12 07:12
    Originally posted by hamworld
    After 1.e4 c6 2. Nf3 d5 3. e5 Bf5 4. d4 e6 5. h3 Ne7 6. Bd3, is 6...Bxd3 objectively better than 6...Nd7 ?[fen]rn1qkb1r/pp2nppp/2p1p3/3pPb2/3P4/3B1N1P/PPP2PP1/RNBQK2R b KQkq - 2 6 [/fen]
    It doesn't matter. You can move Nd7 first then Bxd3 on the following move if you like.
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '12 10:20
    One excellent resource for fine-tuning your openings is:
    http://www.365chess.com/opening.php

It shows what moves have been tried in each position, giving the number of games and the White win / draw / Black win percentages for each move.

I often use this when I have ended up with a lousy position out of the opening and it usual highlights where I made a bad decision.

As with all chess databases, you have to be a little careful when using it. You probably don't want to base your opening choices on a game played in the under 8 championship of Luxembourg.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jul '12 10:59
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    One excellent resource for fine-tuning your openings is:
    http://www.365chess.com/opening.php

It shows what moves have been tried in each position, giving the number of games and the White win / draw / Black win percentages for each move.

I often use this when I have ended up with a lousy position out of the opening and it usual highlights where I mad ...[text shortened]... t want to base your opening choices on a game played in the under 8 championship of Luxembourg.
    its very interesting, i was looking up the Patzer opening, 1.e4 e5, 2.Qh4!? and
    Napoleons opening, 1 e4 e5 2.Qf3. I face these regularly at blitz and I get annoyed,
    why, because clearly they are messing with chess principles, that being the early
    deployment of the queen, and yet, the eventuality is that white has an excellent win
    percentage ratio, the longer the game goes. The fact of the matter is, you dont need
    to know anything about chess to get a game with equal chances, blacks replies are
    limited and you will reach a similar position again and again. For those of us who have
    studied chess and I include myself in it, it seems a travesty of justice and yet, such is
    the nature of chess is that we can learn from both fools and sages.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '12 18:14
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    its very interesting, i was looking up the Patzer opening, 1.e4 e5, 2.Qh4!? and
    Napoleons opening, 1 e4 e5 2.Qf3. I face these regularly at blitz and I get annoyed,
    why, because clearly they are messing with chess principles, that being the early
    deployment of the queen, and yet, the eventuality is that white has an excellent win
    percentage ...[text shortened]... f justice and yet, such is
    the nature of chess is that we can learn from both fools and sages.
    So you are saying that if white can escape a bad opening, then white has a pretty good chance to win.

Why is that? Perhaps it is because in order to escape a bad opening, white has to be the better player.

In other words, you are perplexed by the fact that if you are playing a better player, it doesn't matter what opening the better player uses.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jul '12 20:25
    Originally posted by Eladar
    So you are saying that if white can escape a bad opening, then white has a pretty good chance to win.

Why is that? Perhaps it is because in order to escape a bad opening, white has to be the better player.

In other words, you are perplexed by the fact that if you are playing a better player, it doesn't matter what opening the better player uses.
    Not quite, what I am saying is that you can play white and get away with murder in a
    sense, infact, if you only knew how the pieces moved and knew absolutely nothing
    about chess, you could play white after 1.e4 e5, 2.Qh5 and get the same type of
    position again and again.
  8. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '12 06:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Not quite, what I am saying is that you can play white and get away with murder in a
    sense, infact, if you only knew how the pieces moved and knew absolutely nothing
    about chess, you could play white after 1.e4 e5, 2.Qh5 and get the same type of
    position again and again.
    Well, yeah, but you could get comfortable with any opening. A prepared opening(even if it sucks) is better than a non-prepared opening that doesn't suck. Usually. Although you kinda deserve to lose if you play the Parham. Almost anything works in blitz.

I can't really see the Parham ending up well for White, though. After White prematurely attacks, Black quickly properly defends with ease, and attacks White's position.

Ironically, you'd probably have to have good defensive skills to last long using the Parham. However, Nakamura couldn't get anything going vs Krishnan Sasikiran in that 2005 game.

I think 1.e4 e5 2. h4 is valid, in terms of "it's crazy, and not that easy to refute unlike Parham."

Just because one likes to play crazy openings, it doesn't mean they have to clearly bad ones.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jul '12 14:15
    Originally posted by hamworld
    Well, yeah, but you could get comfortable with any opening. A prepared opening(even if it sucks) is better than a non-prepared opening that doesn't suck. Usually. Although you kinda deserve to lose if you play the Parham. Almost anything works in blitz.

I can't really see the Parham ending up well for White, though. After White prematurely attacks, Blac ...[text shortened]... ecause one likes to play crazy openings, it doesn't mean they have to clearly bad ones.
    the whole thing is so thoroughly difficult I cannot say why I an addicted to chess. I
    know Naka played this move and claimed that he had a playable position, i just feel a
    little insulted when i see it, as if my opponent is saying that they can play anything and
    still beat me, which might be true, but they should have a little consideration for my
    feelings!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree