1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    19 Nov '18 10:24
    Provocative title? Maybe a little, but I feel he has grown into this match. If we rewind back to the match with Karjakin, it was right around now that Carlsen started to wobble. While I don't expect him to go to pieces, i do feel that his confidence can get effected when he fails to win for a while. Caruana seems more balanced psychologically atm. Take the first game out of the equation (Caruana must have been super nervous! First WC and all), Fabi has just gotten better and better. I really don't see Carlsen as a favourite any more, unless the games go to rapid, obviously..
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 Nov '18 09:49
    @marinkatomb said
    Provocative title? Maybe a little, but I feel he has grown into this match. If we rewind back to the match with Karjakin, it was right around now that Carlsen started to wobble. While I don't expect him to go to pieces, i do feel that his confidence can get effected when he fails to win for a while. Caruana seems more balanced psychologically atm. Take the first game out ...[text shortened]... etter. I really don't see Carlsen as a favourite any more, unless the games go to rapid, obviously..
    8 games 8 draws and Carlson being the better rapid Player...
    Maybe Caruana will make some fatal mistake in the quest to earn a win?
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 11:18
    @ponderable said
    8 games 8 draws and Carlson being the better rapid Player...
    Maybe Caruana will make some fatal mistake in the quest to earn a win?
    The way they are both playing, it could come down to one win. Caruana seems to be getting the sort of positions he is looking for. I question whether Magnus is really achieving what he wants out of the opening. IMO, he should consider getting a trainer (like Mamedyarov did). He seems to be a bit stuck. The ability is still there, he just needs a fresh perspective. Inspiration is what's lacking in his play (i feel). I am guessing here, but i suspect he might be relying too heavily on his seconds for opening preparation.
  4. e4
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 11:30
    I have a minor bet on Caruana to win, the odds on Carlsen were not worth it.

6 of the 8 games have been very good and I agree Carlsen seems to be
    below par. This is more due to Caruana's play than anything else.
    I think the rapid chances are 50/50. In Blitz, Carlsen. But four games to go.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 11:55
    @greenpawn34 said
    I have a minor bet on Caruana to win, the odds on Carlsen were not worth it.

6 of the 8 games have been very good and I agree Carlsen seems to be
    below par. This is more due to Caruana's play than anything else.
    I think the rapid chances are 50/50. In Blitz, Carlsen. But four games to go.
    Yeh it's very close indeed. Carlsen is favourite in Rapid/blitz under normal circumstances, but i'm not sure the rating difference will do much to calm any nerves! If it comes down to that, it will be a test of nerve more than anything else. If feel Carlsen has a huge advantage there as he is a more intuitive player (as Nakamura commented the other day). However, I do expect Caruana to have worked on this! Obviously he is going to have specific preparation for this eventuality. The blitz section in particular is open for the biggest upset, there being only two games at that time control, one win and it could be over with no time for a come back.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Nov '18 00:071 edit
    @Marinkatomb

Will Magnus start an all out attack now that he has 8 draws in a row? Seems like he is playing very conservatively in the games so far. It is not for nothing Caruana has a rating so close to Magnus now 2832 V 2835. But blitz is another matter, Carlsen is rated over 2900 there, 200 points higher than Fab.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Nov '18 23:461 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @Marinkatomb

Will Magnus start an all out attack now that he has 8 draws in a row? Seems like he is playing very conservatively in the games so far. It is not for nothing Caruana has a rating so close to Magnus now 2832 V 2835. But blitz is another matter, Carlsen is rated over 2900 there, 200 points higher than Fab.
    Guess not, 10 draws now. Crunching to a blitz game or two. Maybe Maggie is just cruising knowing he can always draw till the blitz games come and then show his skill there.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 18:16
    @sonhouse said
    Guess not, 10 draws now. Crunching to a blitz game or two. Maybe Maggie is just cruising knowing he can always draw till the blitz games come and then show his skill there.
    11 draws. One more and blitz here we come. What happens if THOSE games are tied too?
  9. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 11:49
    @sonhouse
    It's too close to call now. Lets see what Fabi has in store for the last game. He has pressed with white the last two games. Will he try and avoid a playoff? I suspect he might go for the kill today. Magnus's record in playoff's is pretty impressive (from memory). I can't remember him losing one since he was a teenager. I think Fabi's best chance to win the title is a win in classical. I just pray it doesn't go to armageddon, that has to be the most unfair tiebreak system ever devised!
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 12:01
    @marinkatomb said
    @sonhouse
    It's too close to call now. Lets see what Fabi has in store for the last game. He has pressed with white the last two games. Will he try and avoid a playoff? I suspect he might go for the kill today. Magnus's record in playoff's is pretty impressive (from memory). I can't remember him losing one since he was a teenager. I think Fabi's best chance to win the ti ...[text shortened]... just pray it doesn't go to armageddon, that has to be the most unfair tiebreak system ever devised!
    more unfair than tossing a coin?
  11. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 12:25
    @ponderable said
    more unfair than tossing a coin?
    That system is definitely preferable to arm wrestling, caber tossing or logrolling.

Personally, I'd prefer darts or single game of snooker. 😀
  12. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 18:21
    Shameful finish! My Goodness, how can a World champion do that?? Urgh
  13. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    26 Nov '18 20:31
    @marinkatomb said
    Shameful finish! My Goodness, how can a World champion do that?? Urgh
    May his sleep be irksome
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Nov '18 01:20
    Caruana didn't get his 2832 by accident. He is a real contender so let the blitz games begin.
  15. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    27 Nov '18 03:27
    disappointing
    world championships ain't what they used to be
    does anyone think that Bobby Fischer would ever offer a draw or accept a draw in a similar situation or for that matter most past champions
    just my two cents

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree