Catalan Players

Catalan Players

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
03 Aug 08

All you Catalan players out there aside from the mainline opening what else do you have to deal with? I imagine something against the KID (Perhaps some kind of english or the Fincheto defense to the KID?) what do you like after 2...g6? What other non catalan openings do you have to deal with?

Moves
03 Aug 08

Originally posted by chrspayn
All you Catalan players out there aside from the mainline opening what else do you have to deal with? I imagine something against the KID (Perhaps some kind of english or the Fincheto defense to the KID?) what do you like after 2...g6? What other non catalan openings do you have to deal with?
After 2... g6, I just play 3. g3 and go into the fianchetto lines. This is fine against the KID, but I'm not so sure against the Gruenfeld.

You also have to decide what to do against 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. g3 c5
There was another thread where this was discussed. The choices are more or less 4 d5 or 4 Nf3, both of which are OK and neither of which are especially awesome.

Another problem is what to do if your opponent plays the Slav, 1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6, where the Catalan fianchetto isn't so strong. There's nothing wrong with the lines, but white tends to get kind of a microscopic advantage in a lot of them.