1. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 04:09
    As a player, do you welcome a challenge, or shy away from one?
    Seems many players online shy away from an issued challenge. I respect a player who takes on a challenge.
    What ja think?
  2. Joined
    04 Jun '09
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 04:16
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    Seems many players online shy away from an issued challenge. I respect a player who takes on a challenge.
    What ja think?
    some are concerned with their ratings and not willing to enter a game they feel they have small odds of winning, and would prefer to improve gradually by playing people at or below their own level. i agree with you, but i imagine this would be the argument posed by those your complaint is directed against.
  3. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 04:202 edits
    Originally posted by Big Orange Country
    some are concerned with their ratings and not willing to enter a game they feel they have small odds of winning, and would prefer to improve gradually by playing people at or below their own level. i agree with you, but i imagine this would be the argument posed by those your complaint is directed against.
    Au contraire, mon frère. 😕
    I am commending those who face the challenge. 😉

Also, it's been my experience, that ratings are the same if I play 2000 players or 1200 players. ie. You win the odd game against a strong player, and lose the odd game against the underdog. For me anyway it seems to even out.

I've tried the play guys you can beat thing at a blitz site, it only is profitable if you can beat players about your rating.
  4. Joined
    13 Aug '07
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 12:091 edit
    What ja think?
    Well, with you insulting the caro-kann like that, I had to accept your challenge 😛

But I agree challenges must be accepted if they are an issue of principle, people who claim things but arent willing to prove it are not very convincing...
  5. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 12:30
    Originally posted by Gatusso
    Well, with you insulting the caro-kann like that, I had to accept your challenge 😛

But I agree challenges must be accepted if they are an issue of principle, people who claim things but arent willing to prove it are not very convincing...
    For some reason people are afraid to prove their points... Perhaps they are afraid their skills will let them down?
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 12:34
    I've started getting a lot more challenges recently, and I'm not sure why (although subscribing obviously opened up game slots for me), but I gladly accept them. Most of the time their ratings are below mine, but I don't put too much stock into that, as I think the ratings can often be misleading.

I also like helping other players improve if I have anything to offer, as I firmly believe that a rising tide raises all boats, and we all get better in the end.

I see myself as playing a person, not a rating, and my most enjoyable games on the site have not necessarily been ones I have won.

Paul
  7. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 15:58
    Originally posted by Gatusso

Yes, and chess above all IMO is supposed to be fun. You took the challenge in the spirit it was intended. 🙂
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 16:27

Seems many players online shy away from an issued challenge.
    So said the mosquito to the elephant.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 18:03
    Challenges?

http://www.homestarrunner.com/underconstruction.html
  10. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 23:53
    Originally posted by Palynka
    So said the mosquito to the elephant.
    Ok fatso 😕
  11. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    31 Mar '10 04:51
    Speaking of challenges, I'd like an e4 player around my rating (+- 200 points) to challenge me.
  12. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '10 04:57
    Originally posted by Maxacre42
    Speaking of challenges, I'd like an e4 player around my rating (+- 200 points) to challenge me.
    e4?
    I guess I can try that this one game. 😕

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree