1. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 00:28
    Shakhriyar Mamedyarov is the top seed in the 2009 edition of the Aeroflot Open in Moscow (February 17–26). After five rounds he was leading, together with Alexander Moiseenko and Igor Kurnosov. In round six he was crushed by Kurnosov in 21 moves. Mamedyarov filed an official complaint, essentially accusing his opponent of cheating, and withdrew from the event.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5232
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 00:31
    Originally posted by Korch
    Shakhriyar Mamedyarov is the top seed in the 2009 edition of the Aeroflot Open in Moscow (February 17–26). After five rounds he was leading, together with Alexander Moiseenko and Igor Kurnosov. In round six he was crushed by Kurnosov in 21 moves. Mamedyarov filed an official complaint, essentially accusing his opponent of cheating, and withdrew from the event.

its a pity, i really like Mamedyarov, he plays the Modern! was there any basis for this, perhaps i should read the article and find out!
  3. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 00:361 edit
    “It’s not a very convincing claim,” said chief arbiter Geurt Gijssen on the phone. “It’s all theory until 16…Qd6 and after that Black doesn’t make very strange moves. We checked the game with arbiters Fillipowicz and Vasiukov, but they didn’t think it was impossible to find the moves.”

According to Gijssen, Mamedyarov already had his suspicions during the game. “Before the end he asked me if the game could be removed from the website, and if we could keep an eye on his opponent. We tried to do that, but in a playing hall with 160 players that’s not easy. But I did notice that Kurnosov took his jacket with him, every time he left the board. After the game I asked him to show the contents of his pockets, but all that we found was a pack of sigarets, a lighter and a pen.”

Convinced that something was wrong and upset, Mamedyarov didn’t sign his score sheet but instead told the arbiter that he resigned, and was going to leave the tournament. “He then talked to Alexander Bakh” for a long time, but he remained adamant,” said Gijssen.

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/mamedyarov-accuses-opponent-of-cheating-withdraws-from-aeroflot/
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 00:381 edit
    “It’s not a very convincing claim,” said chief arbiter Geurt Gijssen on the phone. “It’s all theory until 16…Qd6 and after that Black doesn’t make very strange moves. We checked the game with arbiters Fillipowicz and Vasiukov, but they didn’t think it was impossible to find the moves.”

Geurt GijssenAccording to Gijssen, Mamedyarov already had his suspicions ...[text shortened]... tp://www.chessvibes.com/reports/mamedyarov-accuses-opponent-of-cheating-withdraws-from-aeroflot/
    mmmm....as a lawyer and a chess player would you solicit his case based on evidence?
  5. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 00:42
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    mmmm....as a lawyer and a chess player would you solicit his case?
    As Kurnusov have made only 6 "out of book" moves I would not dare to accuse him even if all these 6 moves would be 1st choice of engine as it could be home preparation. And single game usually can`t be considered as overhelming evidence if you did not catch suspect getting assistance during the game.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 00:451 edit
    As Kurnusov have made only 6 "out of book" moves I would not dare to accuse him even if all these 6 moves would be 1st choice of engine as it could be home preparation. And single game usually can`t be considered as overhelming evidence if you did not catch suspect getting assistance during the game.
    yes this is a great tragedy, for if he is innocent his reputation will be tarnished and perhaps Mamedyarov should have considered his actions more carefully. Plus, if he goes on to play other games he will feel really bad, and if he wins, it will be tarnished by this accusation. If i was Kurnusov and i was innocent, i would consider this extreme defamation of character!
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 01:05
    yes this is a great tragedy, for if he is innocent his reputation will be tarnished and perhaps Mamedyarov should have considered his actions more carefully. Plus, if he goes on to play other games he will feel really bad, and if he wins, it will be tarnished by this accusation. If i was Kurnusov and i was innocent, i would consider this extreme defamation of character!
    I don´t think it will be Kumusov´s reputation that will be tarnished by this somehow.
  8. e4
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 01:10
    Hmmmmm....

Cigarettes, a lighter and a pen...

I know what has happened there.

he had the moves written on a cigarette, he went to the toilet to
    see the moves and then smoked the evidence.

Cunning.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 01:11
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I don´t think it will be Kumusov´s reputation that will be tarnished by this somehow.
    mmm...you suspect it will be Mamedyarov, this is also tragedy, for he is great player!
  10. Joined
    20 Apr '07
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 01:41
    HAHAHAHA LMAO because I thought the same thing but I am in the biz, Greenpawn that was brill. Rec' dude.
  11. Joined
    17 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 01:45
    Cheater1 strikes again and wins.
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 01:49

sounds like another great player is losing the battle against mental illness. paranoia today, iceland tomorrow.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 02:02
    mmm...you suspect it will be Mamedyarov, this is also tragedy, for he is great player!
    If he was the first chess player to moan about computers then probably, I played through the game and I could have found the bishop move that causes all the problems. He probably regrets it now, but this is a temper tantrum, nothing more.

It´s not tragedy, it´s bathos.
  14. Joined
    23 Sep '07
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 02:19
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hmmmmm....

Cigarettes, a lighter and a pen...

I know what has happened there.

he had the moves written on a cigarette, he went to the toilet to
    see the moves and then smoked the evidence.

Cunning.
    interesting idea.
    Why do they give them so many bathroom breaks or let them leave 20x during a match ?

It should be hardcore chess, first to pee his pants losses.
  15. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 02:38
    makes me curious -- has there ever been a proven cheat at such a high level otb tourney?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree