1. Standard memberOuermyhte
    Muffy rocks your God
    Stars
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 11:26
    Game 6694531

Hello all, I'd like to ask for your advice on this game. I felt like I was in a stronger position for much of it, but couldn't find a way to capitalise.
    What are your impressions of the game? How could I have made better use of my space advantage, and was there a way for me to promote at the end?

Much gratitude for anything you have to say, love and pandas
    marcus
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 11:35
    i had a quick look at the game... why did you resign and not play it out to see how he finished? you might have learnt a little plus i would say if not for the rating differences that it wasn't a completely lost game.

why didn't you take his knight with your pawn?
  3. Joined
    16 Nov '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 11:35
    Originally posted by Ouermyhte
    Game 6694531

Hello all, I'd like to ask for your advice on this game. I felt like I was in a stronger position for much of it, but couldn't find a way to capitalise.
    What are your impressions of the game? How could I have made better use of my space advantage, and was there a way for me to promote at the end?

marcus
    You shouldn't have gone for the promotion, you were just winning a piece!
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 12:24
    Originally posted by Ouermyhte
    Game 6694531

marcus
    please don't get me wrong, but isn't it kind of "not too beneficial" to ask for advice for a game you just gave away your piece?

you gave away your piece, that's the theme in this game. when I look at this game, all I see is that you gave away your extra piece. you should NOT give away your extra piece.

so my final advice for the game would be, don't give away your piece ๐Ÿ™‚

hope this helps๐Ÿ™‚
  5. Standard memberOuermyhte
    Muffy rocks your God
    Stars
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 12:50
    Thanks for your thoughts guys, I'll give my response:

Trev, you're right, looking back at it I should have played it out to learn from his technique, but the position looked hopeless, and I still can't see what you mean when you say it's not clearly lost - it looks like he's going to take my passed pawns, then stampede through the middle with three or four of his own. What do you see that gives me hope?

A common theme of your responses is that I should have taken the knight with the pawn - I considered it and thought that I'd be able to promote, which of course would be better than just yoinking a piece. Part of what I was asking is whether I was right in thinking that I had a chance of promotion.

Also, do you think that his losing the piece was just a blunder, or did he gain something from it? I tend to assume that people rated that much higher than me have a cunning plan!
  6. London
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 13:09
    People of a higher level often make blunders against lower rated opposition. The saying is that
    you have to play the board not the rating... and that works both ways.

The advantage of a passed point is more than just the possibility of a promotion, it's also the
    "threat" of promotion. This threat can keep an opponents pieces tied up defending against the
    promotion or force them to sacrifice.

In your game it seems as though they took your knight expecting you to take theirs. The little
    scene there around a2,b2 seemed ripe for some calculation. Get it up on the analyze board
    and step through a few possibilities.

Not taking the piece would be fine if you could calculate for certain that you could promote - at a glance it looks as though you might have had something there.
  7. e4
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 21:58
    Hi Ouermyhte

Smashing game - first play over this - it's only 7 moves.

Game 6736635

Now White is currently 1318 which is 300 more than you so you
    can see grades mean nothing on here - nothing at all.

A nice sensible opening and over all good chess.

Then it happened.

White blundered the piece, and blinded by your opponent's grade
    you thought there was a trick and got yourself all confused.

I've taken the game from the moment you should have taken
    the Knight and given a plausible continuation where Black sacs back
    the extra piece and uses the passed pawn.

This is what you do when you have an extra piece - sac it back
    to expose the King.

There might be deeper wins, but I'm making it as simple and
    as instructive possible.

Winning with an extra piece with a pawn on the 7th.
    Two plausible variations. The first brute force. The 2nd is White
    trying to make messy by getting the Queens off.(this is cute).

One position to note.

Note the simple Rook lift 11...Rf5 won't do as 12.Qa8+ is a draw.
    maybe even a White win.

You must always be careful when playing the winnning move.

Also found a cute line if White tries to make it messy and get
    the Queens off.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree