1. Joined
    11 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 01:12
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    That made me think straight away about the Joseph Blackburne quote "he left his whiskey en prise so I took it en passant."

See - chess does have its uses in social situtations!
    WARNING: As funny as it is, do NOT use this line around non-chess players. Take it from me, you don't want to have to explain it to outsiders.

I also do not recommend including obscure Broadway show references in foosball taunts.

I made an ill-advised "joke" after scoring on a beautiful shot that clanged around inside the goal, and was reminded of the annoying song, "Clang, clang, clang goes the trolley..." from a musical. Stupidly, I assumed that at least one person would understand if I yelled out, "Meet me in St. Louis", but nobody got it (or admitted it). Then I made things worse by trying to explain it.

After that, my partner actually tanked the game so he wouldn't have to play with me anymore.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 01:21
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    you're a non-subscriber.....people(cheap) like you shouldn't be allowed to post anything.
    amazing.
    one mindless comment beating down on the nonsubscribers, and you get a rec.
    do I get recs for noting on how arrogant you subs are?
    no...
    this may be because the subscriber-elite are the only ones with recs, and will not be likely to reccomend a post calling them snobs.
    here's an idea:
    us non-subs can show support by an idea by just reply/quoting a post, and then just writing "rec" that can be our rec system.
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 01:27
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    amazing.
    one mindless comment beating down on the nonsubscribers, and you get a rec.
    do I get recs for noting on how arrogant you subs are?
    no...
    this may be because the subscriber-elite are the only ones with recs, and will not be likely to reccomend a post calling them snobs.
    here's an idea:
    us non-subs can show support by an idea by just reply/quoting a post, and then just writing "rec" that can be our rec system.
    I want to know who rec'd him so I can make fun of that person in the general forums 😛
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 01:42
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I want to know who rec'd him so I can make fun of that person in the general forums 😛
    way to go, I pronounce this thread dead. you are the lead suspect in the murder of this thread. how does that make you feel?
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 01:46
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    way to go, I pronounce this thread dead. you are the lead suspect in the murder of this thread. how does that make you feel?
    This thread wasn't murdered, it was stillborn. 😀
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 01:49
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    This thread wasn't murdered, it was stillborn. 😀
    whats that mean?
  7. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 02:00
    stillborn is when a baby is born dead.
  8. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 03:37
    Does anyone notice the more they play...talk...read....and think chess.

The more isolated they become?

I'm sure some of you have many things going on in there lives...

But have any of you since starting Chess become isolated from daily social activities?
    No. The social isolation occurred long before the attraction to chess and occurred for reasons having nothing to do with the game.

Besides, it doesn't really matter, because the carnival is over...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LtNFQ7RJbaQ
  9. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 03:411 edit
    I watched the video......everyone excuse me....i'm going to go hang myself...😞
  10. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 22:49
    Does anyone notice the more they play...talk...read....and think chess.

The more isolated they become?

I'm sure some of you have many things going on in there lives...

But have any of you since starting Chess become isolated from daily social activities?
    If you spend more than ~3 hours a day on this site then yes. Because this is a site meant to be on for like 3 hours a week, and if you like to talk in the forums, maybe 4 hours a week. that's all im on. I have plenty of time to do other things even w/ school

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree