1. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 02:48
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Sorry, but based on your post, it's pretty evident that you've yet to develop an understanding of "art".

for starters:
    - one can understand art well enough to judge who's "better", just as one can with any other discipline.

- not everyone who picks up clarinet or uses markers is making art.

- not all "originality" is worthy of praise.

- ...[text shortened]... developed.

- the trained "eye" can most certainly pick out "blunders" in art.
    You have simply chosen what points in my argument to answer with your claims, instead of taking it on as a whole.

Your first statement does not answer my question from the statement you chose to answer from, I'll leave it to you to read my post more carefully.

Second, so a young child who plays, say, chopsticks on the piano is not art simply because he's not a professional? Then what's the dividing line between who CAN make art and who "can't"? I think a lot of people would disagree with you there.

True not all originality is worthy or praise, but no originality in true art can be criticized either, it is only a matter of the creator's own tastes. Meanwhile, originality in chess can be refuted.

You fourth statement. Being able to enjoy music, for instance, is natural, or else music wouldn't have been invented in the first place.

Finally, I don't think a realist painter can go up to a abstract painter and tell him his art is "full of blunders" just because it doesn't resemble anything in the real world, so there are no "blunders" in art. Meanwhile, blundering into a mate in two (which I did today by the way, and my opponent failed to see it), is a definite mistake in chess.
  2. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 02:50
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    why can't we just say it's Chess? why do we need to catagorize it?

it can't be put in a catagory....Chess is it's own catagory.

Chess is Chess. not art ...not science....not a sport....it's Chess.
    No...chess is definitely a game, we can all agree on that. Therefore, it's doesn't belong to only one category of chess, and can be expanded into other categories such as "entertainment", "profession", etc.
  3. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 02:571 edit
    so is prostitution......entertainment and profession.....

The Chess Gods are angry that you merely call it a game.....

you make me vomit.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 04:033 edits
    Originally posted by MoneyMaker7
    You have simply chosen what points in my argument to answer with your claims, instead of taking it on as a whole.

Your first statement does not answer my question from the statement you chose to answer from, I'll leave it to you to read my post more carefully.

Second, so a young child who plays, say, chopsticks on the piano is not art simply becaus day by the way, and my opponent failed to see it), is a definite mistake in chess.
    If you're going to pick out something to compare to chess, you might want to know something about it. It's evident from your posts that you don't even have a basic understanding of art. Based on your posts, I'd guess your level of understanding of art to be comparable to that of an 800 chess player.

- sorry but I can't understand what your second sentence is saying, so I won't respond to it.

- the dividing line is when one can demonstrate a deep understanding of the medium. Until then, they are merely attempting to develop such an understanding.

- much "originality" in art can and should be criticized. It's not just "a matter of the creator's own tastes."

- just because one can derive pleasure from something doesn't in any way make them qualified to judge it. A lot of people seem to enjoy the food at McDonald's, but I'm guessing you'd be hard pressed to find a chef who would agree with their assessment.

- there definitely can be "blunders" in abstract art. The ones best able to judge are the ones who've developed the deepest understanding of abstract art. Here's a quote attributed to the composer Igor Stravinsky that seems appropriate:

"I remember being handed a score composed by Mozart at the age of eleven. What could I say? I felt like de Kooning, who was asked to comment on a certain abstract painting, and answered in the negative. He was then told it was the work of a celebrated monkey. 'That's different. For a monkey, it's terrific.' "

Your profile says you're going to college. Try investigating the arts while you're there. If you keep an open mind and are sincere in your attempts to understand them, I'm sure you'll be able to get a much deeper appreciation for it.

By the way, I'd have to agree with incandenza's assessment of Rothko.
  5. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 04:08
    looks like moneymaker got his ass handed to him......
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 17:32
    looks like moneymaker got his ass handed to him......
    Chessisvanity: I personally find the above remark and many others that you have posted in other threads to be rather juvenille. When are you going to graduate from Junior High?
  7. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 19:49
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Chessisvanity: I personally find the above remark and many others that you have posted in other threads to be rather juvenille. When are you going to graduate from Junior High?
    When are you going to start playing some chess!
  8. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 21:22
    ya? what gives? gaychessplayer?.....why no play?
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 16:00
    ya? what gives? gaychessplayer?.....why no play?
    I play blitz chess several days a week. I prefer to play chess in person.

Okay, Chessisvanity, I answered your question. Now please answer mine: When are you going to graduate from Junior High?
  10. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 17:08
    next year i hope........
  11. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 18:47
    there might be beauty in an idea, but you have to know the topic well enought to appreciate the beauty. yes there can be an element of art to playing chess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree