1. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 01:123 edits
    I tried to play 'Go' but never really got the hang of it. From what I understand, even though Go is a lot more computationally complex than Chess, human Go players thought process is a lot different than chess players. Chess is very much a game of action-reaction, with heavy computation needed after every move. In Go, on the other hand, players are lot more focused on general patterns that will form after many moves, not so concerned about indiivdual moves.

Chess is a game of two cowboys having a shootout at dusk, watching each other's every move with intensity. Go is a game of two generals back at their respective HQ, determining the best way to allocate resources between the different fronts, with the results to be determined later once the battles are finished. (Ok, someone run with this one and give me a better analogy 🙂 ).
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 01:481 edit
    Originally posted by aquatabby
    A Chinese game that looks a bit like draughts...
    Originally posted by LeFou
    "Originating in China, where it is known as Wei-ch'i
    Originally posted by bosintang
    I tried to play 'Go' but never really got the hang ofit...
    Yeah, bla bla yadda yadda lots of words, it's Big Fancy Checkers, now may we move on?
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 02:44
    Originally posted by bosintang
    I tried to play 'Go' but never really got the hang of it. From what I understand, even though Go is a lot more computationally complex than Chess, human Go players thought process is a lot different than chess players. Chess is very much a game of action-reaction, with heavy computation needed after every move. In Go, on the other hand, players are lot m ...[text shortened]... e the battles are finished. (Ok, someone run with this one and give me a better analogy 🙂 ).
    This post makes me think that chess and other games like chess may be metaphors for the cultures where they originate- it's the "western/short term perspective vs eastern/long term perspective" idea that makes me wonder.

Paul
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 04:15
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    This post makes me think that chess and other games like chess may be metaphors for the cultures where they originate- it's the "western/short term perspective vs eastern/long term perspective" idea that makes me wonder.

Paul
    😠
  5. In the soup
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 08:16
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    😠
    What is your problem, ChessPraxis?
  6. Joined
    13 Aug '07
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 10:484 edits
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett

Paul
    There is an element of hierarchy and feudalism in chess that is not found in Go, all stones are of equal value in go while chess pieces aren't. But don't view this as an eastern/western thing, as both china and japan have their forms of chess (Xiangqi and Shogi).

I heard it being explained as follows: Go is a much older game than all the chess variants and originated before times where feudalism (lords and peasants, kings and pawns) had it's heydays. So it's not so much metaphorical as it is a game reflecting the spirit of the time in which it originated.

Also Go is really about conquering territory and not about taking as many of your opponents stones as possible. Therefore, chess is a battle, go is the entire war.
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 04:46
    Originally posted by LeFou
    What is your problem, ChessPraxis?

😉
  8. In the soup
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 08:54
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    [fen]5Kbk/6pp/6P1/8/8/8/8/7R [/fen]
    😉
    Nice. Go softly, softly. Rh6 and mate in 1. An example of zugzwang, is it not?
  9. Joined
    02 May '09
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 19:23
    i think chess is like poker, football, any game , you play hoping for that moment of clarity in a game , its your moment ,your time. and thats any level .
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 20:33
    Chess is all things to some people, and something to all people. 😉
  11. e4
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 22:00
    Edward Winter has brilliant piece on Shapespeare and Chess.

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/shakespeare.html
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Jan '11 22:01
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Edward Winter has brilliant piece on Shapespeare and Chess.

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/shakespeare.html
    Shakespeare, like philosophy, is overrated. In both cases only the works that really tell us something about how to lead our lives are important - the rest is just faffing about annoying the audience.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree