1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 06:44
    I'm looking for an easy to read chess book, that will improve my game.

Any ideas ? Preferably one i can buy from Amazon.
  2. Joined
    13 Dec '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 06:46
    Bruce Pandolfini gets kinda trashed by higher level players, but his Endgame Course (at least the first third of it) and Weapons of Chess have been very helpful to me. Silman's Reassess Your Chess was a little over my head until I read Weapons of Chess, and now I'm starting to get it.
  3. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 09:311 edit
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound

Logical Chess Move by Move is a great first read. Then there is a book called Better Chess for Average Players that teach you about some of the fundamentals of chess. It's similar to Silman's book but I think that at some points it is more simple to understand.

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Chess-Average-Players-Dover/dp/0486290298
    http://www.amazon.com/Logical-Chess-Every-Explained-Algebraic/dp/0713484640/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205400716&sr=1-1
  4. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 10:591 edit
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound

Adam is right, Logical chess move by move. But I would reccomend chessmaster academy first (Josh Waitzkin), pass it twice, and you will get very good fundamentals and a new 200 points 🙂

You will get used to reading fast algebraic notation and the course is interactive, which is important and good for development of your skills.

EDIT : oh, you are 1500 already, good enough to skip Chessmaster academy and go directly to books, but do not skip it ! It is extremly fun and educative !
  5. Joined
    12 Aug '04
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 11:44
    From the Seirawan series, I found the endgame book (Winning Chess Endings) very good.
  6. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 12:33
    Originally posted by Tatarana Crocodilo
    From the Seirawan series, I found the endgame book (Winning Chess Endings) very good.
    yeah, but now the Silman endgame is out which is maybe even better... I like the rating divided sections particullary

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree