1. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 13:17
    I even wrote down down my "data base" in the note book. I went t the chess club and transcribed whole games into my notebook. With graffiti-pencil.
  2. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 17:54
    Originally posted by @vandervelde
    I got one for birthday when I was a kid, one from Dimitrije Bjelica for beginners, but my grandmother thought it will spoil me and that I wasted too much time on chess, so she had stolen it and either threw it into the garbage or gave it to someone, I never found out.
    So how did your chess progress despite this obstacle? tyia
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 18:19
    Originally posted by @mchill Back in the 80's and 90's I used to be one of the guy's at the chess club with 2-3 old Informants in my briefcase w/ handwritten analysis in them, I even used a 3X5 card box to keep game collections of openings I favored. They helped, up to a point, but study as I may, my rating was roughly the same as it is now. Maybe I'm just too cheap to open up my wallet. 😀

Obviously not everyone has the same aptitude and ability.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 19:51
    Originally posted by @unfriendlygiant
    Obviously not everyone has the same aptitude and ability.
    Obviously. Many people say they try to get better but can only break 1000.

It is also possible that a person can try to study but have no clue what they are supposed to be seeing. This is what a good coach is for, to help the blind to see.

Of course limitation on ability only allows so much growth but still there is usually room for growth.
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    23 Dec '17 14:182 edits
    Originally posted by @64squaresofpain
    Every year people ask me what I want for Christmas,
    and every year I usually just reply "I dunno" because I'm either
    a) happy enough with my life to not want anything additional, or
    b) quite unimaginative and dull [hidden]looking at my games, this is most likely![/hidden]

However this year my reply has been extended somewhat to:
    "I dunno... h ...[text shortened]... re I've ever seen the first one...

Anyway, who else is getting a chess book for Christmas? 😀
    With all the free stuff online I don't know why you need chess books anymore? I had gotten five books for $17 though through US chess federation that were two dollars each plus shipping and handling.

I'm giving one book to a nephew called "How to win quickly at chess."
  6. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    23 Dec '17 20:48
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Obviously. Many people say they try to get better but can only break 1000.

It is also possible that a person can try to study but have no clue what they are supposed to be seeing. This is what a good coach is for, to help the blind to see.

Of course limitation on ability only allows so much growth but still there is usually room for growth.
    The idea of a coach is a good one. I'd like to crack the 1700 barrier and move ahead. Any good coaches that give lessons via the internet?
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Dec '17 20:361 edit
    I got one for christmas: Grooten's book on strategy for club level players.

I hope to have the willingness to work my way through this book and hopefully internalize a thing or two.
  8. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    31 Dec '17 03:30

Anyway, who else is getting a chess book for Christmas? 😀
    A Dover paperback on Reshevsky's best games. A pretty good book pick by a non chess playing friend.
  9. Joined
    22 Jun '17
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 04:13
    1001 Winning Chess Combinations and Sacrifices

This book can teach you comprehensively how to attack for checkmate and mean it. I've been struggling at 1780-1830 rating list on another chess website and this book has helped me learn a part of the game that is helping me improve again.
  10. Joined
    22 Jun '17
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 14:08
    Originally posted by @mchill
    The idea of a coach is a good one. I'd like to crack the 1700 barrier and move ahead. Any good coaches that give lessons via the internet?
    I would like to say what got me over 1700 and things that are extremely important to getting over this level are...

knowledge of pawn structure
    knowledge of controlling the center of the board
    knowledge of pawn storms
    tactics
    endgame knowledge

The last two I am working on and I believe it is what makes the difference between an 1800 and 2000. Once you reach that level its just a matter of knowing more tricks or at least that's my belief. If you want to play a few games and see what might be a weakness, challenge me if you want. Also you can look at my list above and figure it out that way too.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree