Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member BlueEyedRook
    Ol' Blue Eyes
    23 Nov '10 05:03
    Has anyone tried reading a chess book on Kindle?

    I want to try this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CRSSDI

    Anyone have any insights on this? Are chess books on Kindle even practical?
  2. 23 Nov '10 10:12
    Originally posted by BlueEyedRook
    Has anyone tried reading a chess book on Kindle?

    I want to try this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CRSSDI

    Anyone have any insights on this? Are chess books on Kindle even practical?
    why...not ?
    I use to print my pdf chess books and read them like this, so I think that reading them on kindle is ok.
  3. Standard member atticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    23 Nov '10 11:51
    Burn Kindle! Preserve books!
  4. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    23 Nov '10 22:35
    Originally posted by atticus2
    Burn Kindle! Preserve books!
    don't burn trees, read kindle
  5. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    23 Nov '10 22:36
    Originally posted by vipiu
    why...not ?
    I use to print my pdf chess books and read them like this, so I think that reading them on kindle is ok.
    When you pdf your books, can you change the font size after its inside the kindle?
    I couldn't, wysiwyg looks like.
  6. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    23 Nov '10 22:41
    Originally posted by BlueEyedRook
    Has anyone tried reading a chess book on Kindle?

    I want to try this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CRSSDI

    Anyone have any insights on this? Are chess books on Kindle even practical?
    One thing about Kindle, my wife had cataract surgery and afterwards has trouble with high contrast books (white shiny paper with black ink, etc.) and the kindle has less contrast so she can read on it for hours but has eye strain after 20 minutes on paper. But she had 4 kindles, 2nd gen, all went bad and they finally gave her a lemon deal, 3rd gen kindle paid by refund which got the latest kindle plus a leather case (59 bucks for that alone, but the refund of the original price bought both and they shipped for free) Do you have 2nd gen or 3rd? And have you had any problems with it?
  7. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    24 Nov '10 00:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    One thing about Kindle, my wife had cataract surgery and afterwards has trouble with high contrast books (white shiny paper with black ink, etc.) and the kindle has less contrast so she can read on it for hours but has eye strain after 20 minutes on paper. But she had 4 kindles, 2nd gen, all went bad and they finally gave her a lemon deal, 3rd gen kindle p ...[text shortened]... th and they shipped for free) Do you have 2nd gen or 3rd? And have you had any problems with it?
    I have some minor vision issues myself, so I very much appreciate the information in this post. Thanks!
  8. 24 Nov '10 01:53
    I love the kindle for regular non chess books because it saves so much space in my house. It's amazing how much room books take up. However, I struggled a bit with the two chess books I bought on the kindle because the diagram that the text refers to is often on another page and you have to click backwards and forwards to see the position the author is talking about. I think a chess book kindle thing that could move the pieces in the diagram as you read the text would be a neat invention. On the plus side you can get free chess books on the kindle which is cool.
  9. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    24 Nov '10 02:09
    Originally posted by Double G
    I love the kindle for regular non chess books because it saves so much space in my house. It's amazing how much room books take up. However, I struggled a bit with the two chess books I bought on the kindle because the diagram that the text refers to is often on another page and you have to click backwards and forwards to see the position the author is ta ...[text shortened]... e a neat invention. On the plus side you can get free chess books on the kindle which is cool.
    I guess one way would be to have two screens, that way you could point to a position on one screen and read the words on another. I guess nobody would care enough to invent something like that though. A kind of double kindle.
  10. Standard member Exuma
    Anansi
    25 Nov '10 18:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I guess one way would be to have two screens, that way you could point to a position on one screen and read the words on another. I guess nobody would care enough to invent something like that though. A kind of double kindle.
    You can read kindle books on your computer too, more screen space for the "double" kindle idea
  11. Standard member atticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    25 Nov '10 18:07
    Isn't one problem with Kindle that the 'books' are non-transferable between readers?

    I guess I can see uses for Kindle or equivalents, not least if they get people reading. I just love books though. I live surrounded by them
  12. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    26 Nov '10 10:53 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by atticus2
    Isn't one problem with Kindle that the 'books' are non-transferable between readers?

    I guess I can see uses for Kindle or equivalents, not least if they get people reading. I just love books though. I live surrounded by them
    For the most part they are incompatible but they all read PDF format. The only problem with that is it is WYSIWYG, you can't change the font size page by page like a kindle or the others. At least that is what we ran into. Like I said, my wife had cataract surgery and since then she has had eye strain with small print and high contrast paper so the kindle is better because you can make the font anything and the contrast is less than shiny paper so she can read for hours.

    Personally, I am still stuck in the paper world. For one thing, you can still read when the battery dies, and the second big thing: you don't have to do a button push if you want to refer to a back page like an illustration or some such, in a book, you know what page it was on. The kindle doesn't do page #'s, only a % of finish of the book. So you are on % 34.55 and you want to look at an illustration on 32.67.....
  13. Standard member BlueEyedRook
    Ol' Blue Eyes
    03 Dec '10 04:12
    Some Chess books are good.

    Try http://www.amazon.com/100-Chess-Problems-Rest-ebook/dp/B004CRSSDI/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1291349211&sr=1-2

    Others are not good at all.

    Many simply copy the texts of the book without the diagrams.

    They are, in other words, useless. (Make sure you are not spending $9.99 for a chess book without chess diagrams!).