1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 May '11 20:37
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Halprin - Pillsbury Munich 1900

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Nf6 4. O-O Nxe4 5. d4 Nd6 6. dxe5 Nxb5 7. a4 d6
    8. e6 fxe6 9. axb5 Ne7 10. Ng5 Ng6 11. Qh5 Be7 12. Nc3 Bxg5 13. Bxg5 Qd7 {The next move, suggested by Hoffer when he noted up Wolf - Pillsbury from a few days earlier was subject to ferocious analysis by Maroczy and Halprin.}
    14. b6 cxb6 ... 24. Rg3+ Kf8 {Draw by perpetual check.}
    Charming game, but your annotation to move 14 suggests to me a quite different reason behind Hoffer's indignation. Ungentlemanly conduct - or jalousie de métier? It's a French term, but it can be a very English emotion...

Richard
  2. e4
    Moves
    05 May '11 21:32
    Perhaps he was miffed that someone dared to use his suggestion
    to tool up Halprin to take a ½ point from Harry Pillsbury.

According to Hooper and Whyld in The Oxford Companion Hoffer was a bit of
    a social snob with a very fiery temper.

He was a Hungarian who arrived penniless in England in 1870,
    Steinitz took pity on him and looked after him.
    When he was able to look after himself he turned his pen against Steintiz
    and these two attacked each other in print every chance they got.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    06 May '11 03:05
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Perhaps he was miffed that someone dared to use his suggestion
    to tool up Halprin to take a ½ point from Harry Pillsbury.

According to Hooper and Whyld in The Oxford Companion Hoffer was a bit of
    a social snob with a very fiery temper.

He was a Hungarian who arrived penniless in England in 1870,
    Steinitz took pity on him and looked after him.
    ...[text shortened]... rned his pen against Steintiz
    and these two attacked each other in print every chance they got.
    They had RHP forums back then? 😕
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 May '11 15:47
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Rec'd. Now that's entertainment!
  5. Joined
    12 Feb '11
    Moves
    06 May '11 22:01
    2. A strong player posing under a weak player’s name to cash in on an easier section (ex. 1993, John von Neumann at the World Open in Philadelphia)

3. Classical Collusion: A weaker player leaving the board to receive advice from a stronger player (ex. 2002 World Open, 2 Russian players working together)

This is not THAT bad, still people are playing. I just HATE engines. When I was about 10 I was using them but when you use them, it is MUCH MORE boring. Playing for real is much more fun
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 May '11 15:26
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    No, but they were still chess players, with all the social skulls (TOBAGO!) that implies. 😛

Richard
  7. Joined
    04 Apr '11
    Moves
    10 May '11 04:16
    thanks for all the responses, very interesting stuff! i especially like the post about how england can (/does?) treat and punish cheating offenses as fraud with criminal sentences. i hope the US and other countries adopt a similar, harsher stance on the issue to deter future scam-artists. also, yes the game with Kasparov was caught on video where he moved the piece back against Judit Polgar. not too sure what happened on that one!
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 May '11 06:17
    Originally posted by WillStewartNM
    thanks for all the responses, very interesting stuff! i especially like the post about how england can (/does?) treat and punish cheating offenses as fraud with criminal sentences. i hope the US and other countries adopt a similar, harsher stance on the issue to deter future scam-artists. also, yes the game with Kasparov was caught on video where he moved the piece back against Judit Polgar. not too sure what happened on that one!
    i searched for it but could not find it 🙁
  9. e4
    Moves
    10 May '11 09:38
    Kasparov took it back. 😉
  10. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    10 May '11 12:04
    well timed pun.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 May '11 15:321 edit
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    well timed pun.
    Colle instalment services, satisfaction guaranteed! 😛
  12. Joined
    04 Apr '11
    Moves
    13 May '11 01:40
    I was flipping through an old Chess Life magazine and came across the following quote by Edward Lasker in The Adventure of Chess: "Perhaps the increasing laxity of chess morals is a reflection of the general decay of ethics bound to develop in an age in which the defeat of the competitor in the minds of most people has become the end that sanctifies the means, in business as well as in politics. That does not make the state of affairs less disgusting."

I thought it was interesting how this might apply to the posted topic.

... and Kasparov undoubtedly did take it back!
  13. Joined
    01 Mar '11
    Moves
    14 May '11 02:38
    2. A strong player posing under a weak player’s name to cash in on an easier section (ex. 1993, John von Neumann at the World Open in Philadelphia)
    Actually, I heard von Neumann was a total unknown, but cheated with the ear piece method, the story is quite intriguing!

From Chessville.com

"At the 1993 chess World Open, was a dreadlocked, headphoned, unrated newcomer named "von Neumann". First he made stalemate with a grandmaster, then beat a 2350 player. The man seemed to have a large bulge in his pocket, which made a soft humming or buzzing sound at important points in the game. Quizzed by officials, the man was unable to demonstrate even a basic knowledge of simple chess concepts, and disqualified."
  14. gumtree
    Moves
    14 May '11 10:13
    Originally posted by Reeves2668
    Actually, I heard von Neumann was a total unknown, but cheated with the ear piece method, the story is quite intriguing!

From Chessville.com

"At the 1993 chess World Open, was a dreadlocked, headphoned, unrated newcomer named "von Neumann". First he made stalemate with a grandmaster, then beat a 2350 player. The man seemed to have a large bulge in h ...[text shortened]... as unable to demonstrate even a basic knowledge of simple chess concepts, and disqualified."
    Big give away was likely the name - John von Neuman was one of the originator's of game theory and had been dead for 36 years at the time.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 May '11 11:35
    Originally posted by WillStewartNM
    Chess Cheating - Hits New High
    Yet apparently some people think chess players would never take performance enhancing drugs and are not supportive of doping tests.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree