1. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 09:15
    Originally posted by Yuga
    Very nice game for blindfold. 🙂 If you can play blindfold okay, I expect you may be able to recreate chess positions fairly well too. When you consider a position OTB are you really looking at the board position so much? In quick chess of course yes; I don't know about long games.

I prefer odds games over blindfold – less stressful and tend to play bett ...[text shortened]... sections - somewhat diminished quality of play I guess but still some pretty impressive stuff.
    Actually in quick or blitz chess I don't really look at the board that often...especially when I am being nagged to get off the computer and come to bed. 😛
  2. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 11:373 edits
    Originally posted by Yuga
    If you can play blindfold okay, I expect you may be able to recreate chess positions fairly well too.
    I can recreate positions quite fast because I convert picture of pawn structure into melody in my head.

2. rank is C
    3. rank is D
    4. rank is E etc.

the same for black pieces. And the pawn islands, well, the empty space is rest. So by using simple melody and rhytm I can remember all pawn structures in no time. 😛

EDIT : decoding my other pieces from visual to auditive too 🙄
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 17:46
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    A little OT, but I hope still appropriate.

Not wanting to let the training go to waste, I played my first blindfold game today. There were no time controls but it took about an hour. I was White and blindfolded while my opponent (who hasn't played in many years) was allowed to see the board.

1. d4 d5 2. c4 Nf6 3. cxd5 Nxd5 4. e4 Nb6 5. Nc3 e6 6. Nf ...[text shortened]... orget where everything was. I don't think I would have played any better with sight of board.
    wow! that's really nice!
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 18:491 edit
    Originally posted by wormwood
    wow! that's really nice!
    Thanks!

However, I hope you guys don't think I played the variation with 14... g6 blindfold. That was analysis after the game and is thus in parenthesis. I'm not sure I could completely work out that variation even with sight. 😛

Anyway, when I play OTB, I look at the board when it's my turn. On the other hand, I close my eyes and just visualize the position and relations while my opponent is thinking sometimes. It helps me focus and it allows me to work on the position in my mind instead of having to reveal to him what I think is important by actually starring at the board.
  5. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 09:53
    Originally posted by wormwood
    wow! that's really nice!
    Ha ! Old avatar again ! That is nice. I am glad the freakin' bear is gone 😛
  6. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 09:582 edits
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Thanks!

However, I hope you guys don't think I played the variation with 14... g6 blindfold. That was analysis after the game and is thus in parenthesis. I'm not sure I could completely work out that variation even with sight. 😛

Anyway, when I play OTB, I look at the board when it's my turn. On the other hand, I close my eyes and just visualize th ...[text shortened]... stead of having to reveal to him what I think is important by actually starring at the board.
    I've played my first blindfold game, it wasn't near as impressing that exigentsky's one but I noticed that knowing color squares and squares that belong to the same diagonal etc. really do the differece.

However, here is my question : is it possible that some of you guys really can keep the look and feel of the whole board in your head ? In my case I am trying to make an advanced net between squares, files, diagonals and colors so I can always know which is which and where does belong. However, I am not sure I will ever be able to visualise it (ie. to "see" the complete board in my head.)

Please explain me that. Can you really see it in whole ?

EDIT : I played my blindfold game against an pretty weak opponent yesterday, and though I saw a nice fork, I resigned after move 14. because I thought my head would blow and I couldn't follow the position placement anymore, I knew all move orders but I just couldn't visualise that all...
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 10:28
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    I've played my first blindfold game, it wasn't near as impressing that exigentsky's one but I noticed that knowing color squares and squares that belong to the same diagonal etc. really do the differece.

However, here is my question : is it possible that some of you guys really can keep the look and feel of the whole board in your head ? In my case I am ...[text shortened]... ition placement anymore, I knew all move orders but I just couldn't visualise that all...
    I couldn't completely see the whole board. I could visualize the whole board in terms of general structure, but not the details, like the pieces and square colors. Instead, I visualized the board by segments and just moved around - while always keeping in mind the relationships of pieces. In terms of look, I could visualize 3D or 2D but I found 2D easiest. To strengthen my visualization, I would also check every square and piece on the board after 3-5 moves.
  8. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 16:48
  9. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 16:49
    Originally posted by d36366
    Amusing diversion - thanks for posting. I was rubbish. Not convinced it helps with your chess any. What do others think?
    yes it helps, at least that's wait i believe.
  10. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 16:531 edit
    Originally posted by eldragonfly
    yes it helps, at least that's wait i believe.
    I played my first blindfold match, it helps, but learning colors is only the first step... I like blindfold exercises like "are a2 and f6 on the same diagonal ?" etc. Determining square color is nice place to start though.
  11. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 17:12
    good deal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree