1. Joined
    06 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 18:42
    Has anyone here experimented with a system to write out or graph your decision tree as a way of choosing a move? How has it worked? What kind of information do you include?
  2. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 18:47
    why not use chessbase? or similar?. You could also mind map your variations if you wanted. For openings people used to use index cards back in the old days...
  3. Joined
    06 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 18:52
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    why not use chessbase? or similar?.
    I use chessbase to study my games after they are over, but I had never thought to use it this way during a game. Good idea.

What's a mind map?
  4. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 19:07
    A mind map is a diagram used to represent words, ideas, tasks, or other items linked to and arranged around a central key word or idea.
  5. Maryland, US
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 20:20
    Originally posted by Reverb
    Has anyone here experimented with a system to write out or graph your decision tree as a way of choosing a move? How has it worked? What kind of information do you include?
    Personally I wouldn't get in this habit. If you start to depend on it you won't be able to play without a written tree which would be illegal over the board. As far as correspondence games here go why don't you just use the notepad?
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 21:58
    You will probably be insane by move 5!

How much paper you got?
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 22:22
    Yes. I used the backs of business cards when I was first learning my openings. I simply put a number for the card, my move and all the common responses. Each response referred to another card.
  8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 00:32
    Originally posted by JDChess
    Personally I wouldn't get in this habit. If you start to depend on it you won't be able to play without a written tree which would be illegal over the board. As far as correspondence games here go why don't you just use the notepad?
    So far, I have used chessbase for my games, and I think it has improved my OTB play since August 2009 when I started playing here. With multiple games going, chessbase makes it far easier to remember what I was thinking and what I had planned when I come back to the game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree