Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Donation Pawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    31 Mar '06 23:18
    Last night I read a novella by Stefan Zweig (1881-1942), an Austrian writer, entitled "The Royal Game". It was absorbing, and even did reasonable justice to the game. A synopsis of the novella, borrowed from the web, is below. But the story got me thinking: could anyone else here recommend some good chess fiction to read? (There's a novel by Nabokov mentioned below too. Anyone read it?)

Mirko Czentovic, a semiliterate son of a Danube boatman, "incapable of writing any sentence in any language without making spelling mistakes", travels on a ship from Europe to South America. However, he is the world chess champion. He wins the first game, but the second against Dr. B., a Viennese lawyer and refuge, occupies the central part of the story. Dr. B. has started to play chess with himself in solitary confinement, when he was arrested by Gestapo. During his game against Czentovic he breaks down. "But are we not already guilty of an insulting limitation in calling chess a game? Isn't it also a science, and art, hovering between these two categories like Muhammad's coffin hovered between heaven and earth?" As in Vladimir Nabokov's novel The Defense (1930), chess becomes an allegory of alienation, in which people, estranged from life, move like characters on a giant chessboard.
  2. 01 Apr '06 04:44
    I personally would recommend anyone Nabokov's The Defense. There's already a movie based on it, The Luzhin Defense i think which I haven't seen yet.

Anybody knows a place where fans would place their own fics? I mean sometimes it would be nice to read a parody...say, Brokeback Mountain. Two passed pawns on the 6th rank with a rook behind them. When one of them queens the other one which got taken goes... "i sacrificed myself and you wanted to be a woman?!"
  3. Donation Pawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    01 Apr '06 08:51
    Originally posted by Papyn Chase
    I personally would recommend anyone Nabokov's The Defense. There's already a movie based on it, The Luzhin Defense i think which I haven't seen yet.

Anybody knows a place where fans would place their own fics? I mean sometimes it would be nice to read a parody...say, Brokeback Mountain. Two passed pawns on the 6th rank with a rook behind them. When on ...[text shortened]... the other one which got taken goes... "i sacrificed myself and you wanted to be a woman?!"
    It's always nice to castle queenside for a change...