1. Joined
    26 Apr '05
    Moves
    02 May '06 21:41
    Hello everyone. I am currently trying to write a research paper about the benefits chess provides for academic success. If anyone would happen to know some great sources to find information on the topic, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 May '06 21:44
    This sounds very familiar. Chess does help young minds improve and develop by forcing them to concentrate and plan in advance, while being fun at the same time. Does wonders for the kiddies.
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 May '06 23:01
    Chess doesn't help me in school it just distracts me!
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    02 May '06 23:12
    Originally posted by Timothy2005
    Hello everyone. I am currently trying to write a research paper about the benefits chess provides for academic success. If anyone would happen to know some great sources to find information on the topic, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.
    There a lot of articles on this subject on the web. I read a couple of them years ago but can't remember where. Try searching for it on the internet.
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    02 May '06 23:15
    I would be very surprised if chess improved academic performance. good study habits improves both of course, but I don't think that has anything to do with chess itself.

if I'd put a fraction of the energy I waste on chess into something productive... well you all know how it goes...
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 May '06 01:25
    I don't really have any research on this, but the people that play at my school all do very well academically.
  7. Joined
    26 Apr '05
    Moves
    03 May '06 01:47
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I am specifically looking at elementary students.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    03 May '06 02:07
    http://www.successchess.com/SCSKnights/NY2.html

Took me 10 seconds to go to Google and enter "academic performance chess".
  9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    03 May '06 02:31
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I would be very surprised if chess improved academic performance. good study habits improves both of course, but I don't think that has anything to do with chess itself.

if I'd put a fraction of the energy I waste on chess into something productive... well you all know how it goes...
    It does. There have been a lot of articles written on this and they are starting to implement chess as a mandatory course in some schools. It's a hot thing in elementary right now.

However, it's not only chess though. I had a chat with someone else and we believe any game which stimulates your brain would work. Doesn't have to be chess.
  10. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    03 May '06 04:36
    http://www.deanofchess.com/benefits.htm
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    03 May '06 06:25
    Originally posted by RahimK
    It does. There have been a lot of articles written on this and they are starting to implement chess as a mandatory course in some schools. It's a hot thing in elementary right now.

However, it's not only chess though. I had a chat with someone else and we believe any game which stimulates your brain would work. Doesn't have to be chess.
    The study I linked had controls for that. Their conclusion was that it's chess itself.
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    03 May '06 10:41
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    http://www.successchess.com/SCSKnights/NY2.html
    sounds really nice, althought that doesn't really convince me. maybe it's because I'm thinking of how chess ability affects cognitive skills, and they're thinking of the whole social surroundings and implications.
  13. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    03 May '06 12:03
    Check out a book by Maurice Ashley: Chess for Success. It might give you some ideas for your paper.
  14. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    03 May '06 16:07
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The study I linked had controls for that. Their conclusion was that it's chess itself.
    I guess there is no other game to rival chess in thinking, manners, patience, planning etc...
  15. Big D
    Moves
    03 May '06 16:17
    Here is some stuff you could include in your paper:

Lasker and Tarrasch nearly flunked out of school because of chess. Alekhine was reprimanded by his teachers because he was so distracted by the game. Reshevsky was exploited by his parents and pulled from formal education. Fischer was a dropout, etc., etc.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree