1. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 13:50
    Originally posted by Renars
    indeed, just to a degree.. and let's face it, Death was not that good a player ..
    he violated the terms of agreement!
  2. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 18:23
    Thanks for the indications. I'll take a look at them.
  3. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 21:28
    Luzhin's Defense by Vladimir Nabokov.
  4. Joined
    08 Nov '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 23:372 edits
    The Royal Game by Austrian author Stefan Zweig first published in 1942, shortly before his death. Great read particularly if you play chess.
    Nazi's, chess, and a brutish chess champion what more could you ask for.

Also worth a look "64 Square Madhouse" a collection of short stories by some of the "old guard" and newer sci fi authors.
  5. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    07 Aug '09 09:55
    The Grass Arena.

Not a movie as such but a feature length TV drama from Channel 4 in the '90s. Its a biog of John Healy, a guy who became a homeless alcoholic but found salvation in this silly board game. Been a long time since I seen it but I remember it being quite good.

I don't think it was ever released on video but I'm sure someone somewhere has a copy. Since quality Chess related movies are few and far between, it may be worth tracking it down.
  6. Joined
    17 Mar '08
    Moves
    07 Aug '09 14:321 edit
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    There is also a thriller movie I have been thinking about lately, I saw it when I was, I don't know exactly, about eight years old or so. It's about a chess GM and his daughter who are being threatened by some maniac who murders on coordinates on the city map, that are related to chess squares involved in his opening preparation(??). [hidden]And the chess geek turns out to be the maniac.[/hidden] Does anybody here know its name??
    i think it's knight moves, a terrible thriller with poor acting (just check who plays the first role...) and incoherent scenario, but the worst is the chess part !
    but it might be worth seeing, just for the laugh

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104627/
  7. Joined
    17 Mar '08
    Moves
    07 Aug '09 14:43
    There's a new movie about chess in france : "joueuse".
    i haven't seen it yet, here's the trailer (in french)

YouTube&feature=related

At the end of this trailer, kevin kline asks her "why is it so important, for you, this game?" and she answers "i don't know, when you take risks, you can lose, when you don't, you always lose!"
    I'm not so sure of that (ask karpov!) not toking risks doesn't mean doing nothing, or playing passively
  8. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 12:18
    Bobby Fischer Goes to War is rumored to become a movie and will open in 2010.
  9. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 13:50
    Originally posted by shorbock
    i think it's knight moves, a terrible thriller with poor acting (just check who plays the first role...) and incoherent scenario, but the worst is the chess part !
    but it might be worth seeing, just for the laugh

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104627/
    Yes, it was a C-movie, forgot to mention. Perhaps it's this one, who knows ...
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 18:061 edit
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    Game Over: Kasparov vs the Machine is decent. Next year I believe a movie based on Michael Weinreb's The Kings of New York will be released
    edit: nevermind.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 19:001 edit
    Brainwashed, 1960, Curt jurgens plays a prisoner of the Gestapo kept isolated a room with nothing in it. Starts to go nuts, but manages to steal a book which turns out to have no words, just chess problems. Don't remember how good it is, I was just 8 when I saw it. Only scene I recall is when he's released theres a checkerboard floor tile in the lobby and he runs around putting potted plants and people around on squares trying to set up a problem while he babbles like a loon.
  12. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 19:42
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069906/

... but then aren't they all
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 19:43
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Brainwashed, 1960, Curt jurgens plays a prisoner of the Gestapo kept isolated a room with nothing in it. Starts to go nuts, but manages to steal a book which turns out to have no words, just chess problems.
    seems very similar to Zweig's short novel. only difference being it was a game collections book.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 19:57
    Originally posted by philidor position
    seems very similar to Zweig's short novel. only difference being it was a game collections book.
    Yes it is based on Stefan Zweig's novel according to IMDB, German title Schachnovelle or something like that. Released in the US as Brainwashed.
  15. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 21:40
    By far the best I've seen so far:

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree