1. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '10 11:50
    Originally posted by KneeCaps
    Going off memory here, but I think USCF rules also state that if you do use descriptive notation then you cannot use your score sheet as evidence if some sort of dispute should arise about an illegal move or something.
    I haven't been able to find such a rule; I doubt that it exists. (But if you can tell me the rule number, I'll look it up.)

You might be thinking of Rule 13C7, which requires a reasonably complete scoresheet. But that has to do with recording all or most of the moves, not which notation system is used.

Other situations in which you might not be able to make claims would be if you are excused from keeping score, or if you stop keeping score in time trouble.
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Nov '10 14:08
    Originally posted by TomBarrister
    The main advantage of Algebraic is that each square has only one name, whereas each square has two names in English Descriptive: one each for White and Black.
    Which also means, IME, that replaying games written in English notation is a rotten job. I keep confusing the two meanings. It's probably somewhat swifter to use if writing down your moves is all you ever intend to do, but if you want to replay the game later, you either have to have two people there, keep walking around the board yourself, or pay more attention to the notation than to the game. It's like the Imperial measurement system: it all sounds very natural and reasonable, but in practice it simply proves to be inferior to a more logical system.

Richard
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Nov '10 18:10
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I along with all my generation started out with descriptive and am happy
    playing over games in either format.

However writing about the game is far easy in algebraic and from
    a printing point of view it is less expensive.

Example.

A Ruy Lopez.

1.e4 e5
    2.Nf3 Nc6
    3.Bb5

Less than 10 seconds.

1. P-K4 P-K4
    2. N-KB3 N-QB3
    3. B-QN5

...[text shortened]... algebraic though I know
    players who still record in descriptive and have not been puled up.
    "The square c6 is weak."

Xc6

I prefer the Chess Informant system, as it is far more compact.
  4. c6
    Moves
    19 Nov '10 18:54
    Do you have a link to a comprehensive list of Informant symbols?

Wikipedia only has the standard !'s, ?'s, +'s, and -'s, plus a couple others. The X isn't there, and it's new to me. I'd be excited to know more shorthand.
  5. Joined
    30 Jun '08
    Moves
    19 Nov '10 22:50
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I haven't been able to find such a rule; I doubt that it exists. (But if you can tell me the rule number, I'll look it up.)

You might be thinking of Rule 13C7, which requires a reasonably complete scoresheet. But that has to do with recording all or most of the moves, not which notation system is used.

Other situations in which you might not be able t ...[text shortened]... would be if you are excused from keeping score, or if you stop keeping score in time trouble.
    I was mistaken. It's actually in the FIDE rules.

Appendix C

"Scoresheets using a notation system other than algebraic may not be used as evidence in cases where normally the scoresheet of a player is used for that purpose."
  6. Joined
    19 Oct '07
    Moves
    20 Nov '10 02:441 edit
    Originally posted by EinZweiDrei

Wikipedia only has the standard !'s, ?'s, +'s, and -'s, plus a couple others. The X isn't there, and it's new to me. I'd be excited to know more shorthand.
    Brings up another question that's always in the back of my mind...who gets to add those symbols to notation? I always had just assumed whoever annotated the game added them.
  7. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    20 Nov '10 11:19
    What's computer notation? tia
  8. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '10 14:42
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    What's computer notation? tia
    Computer notation is notation made by computers. 😛

The USCF rule book doesn't go into a lot of detail on computer notation, but the example given is the same as "Coordinate notation" given in this Wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_notation

Oddly enough, the USCF rule book doesn't mention exactly how promotions would be handled in computer notation. I guess the rules committee figures that the computer knows how to handle promotion notations. One gets the impression that computer notation wasn't high on their priority list. (Probably justifiably so.)
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    21 Nov '10 04:40
    Originally posted by EinZweiDrei
    http://www.sahovski.co.rs/other/index.php?other=6
  10. c6
    Moves
    21 Nov '10 12:13
    Awesome. Thank you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree