Chess Programs?

Chess Programs?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e

Moves
03 Apr 06

Hi, I've been chess competitevly for about a year. Recently at the local club that I play with one of the members asked me whihc chess software I use. I'd never heard of this and was and still am unsure how they will help me? Whats do you get out of a chess software?

Also which is the best one. I mean theirs Chessbase 9.0, CT-ART 3.0, Shredder 9 and I'm not sure if Deep Fritz 8 is considered a program? Which one is best and are their any others?

c

Moves
03 Apr 06

there is one called Chessmaster 10th edition, i have it, chess software trains and educates you, it is good to have.🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂😀

m
manchester clan

manchester

Moves
03 Apr 06

I am also looking for a good chess software programme, i am 100-1200
rating would chessmaster 10 help me?

which site did you buy it from?

cheers

o

Moves
03 Apr 06
2 edits

Originally posted by estonian3
Hi, I've been chess competitevly for about a year. Recently at the local club that I play with one of the members asked me whihc chess software I use. I'd never heard of this and was and still am unsure how they will help me? Whats do you get out of a chess software?

Also which is the best one. I mean theirs Chessbase 9.0, CT-ART 3.0, Shredder 9 a ot sure if Deep Fritz 8 is considered a program? Which one is best and are their any others?
Chessbase is a database program. It contains a few million chess games played by GMs that you can look at as a reference or as study material. Fritz, Shredder, and Hiarcs are chess engines. You can play against them (they are all very very strong). They can also analyze your games for you. I reccomend Fritz 9. It is under $50 and is pretty much the standard. CT-ART is a training program. It contains tactics puzzles for you to do. It is very good. Another training program to consider is Personal Chess Trainer. It similar to CT-ART but it trains you on Endgames and Strategy as well as Tactics. I use Chessbase 9, Fritz 9, and Personal Chess Trainer pretty much everyday.

For more information on Chessbase, Fritz, Hiarcs, and Shredder visit http://chessbase.com/

For more information on CT-ART visit http://www.convekta.com/

For more information on Personal Chess Trainer visit http://personalchesstrainer.com/

Edit: I have chessmaster 10th edition and it is pretty much a joke compared to the other software I mentioned. It does contain some good tutorials though.

e

Moves
03 Apr 06

So you can't play games against chessbase? And how about CT ART 3.0, can you play games against it? Fritz 9 is good? It has a lot of bad reviews, 8 got good reviews. Is 9 still better then 8?

o

Moves
04 Apr 06

So you can't play games against chessbase? And how about CT ART 3.0, can you play games against it? Fritz 9 is good? It has a lot of bad reviews, 8 got good reviews. Is 9 still better then 8?
No, you can't play games against chessbase. I think you can play against CT ART using the crafty engine, but it doesnt have any of the great features Fritz 9 has. I think that Fritz 9 is better than 8. Where did it get bad reviews?

e

Moves
04 Apr 06

Fritz 9 got a bad review at gamespot.com. Only a 6.9 out of 10. Heres the link:

http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?type=11&stype=all&qs=fritz+9&x=37&y=8

I have "deep fritz Grand Master Deluxe". Sure sounds fancy. When I play on the top right hand corner it says "Deep Fritz 8". Is this program better then deep fritz 8 or the same? Its kinda hard to believe since Deep Fritz 8 retails for $69.99 and the one I have was only $19.99. Is their a difference? And what does 9 have that 8 dosen't

Also is it worth spending $150 Plus for Chessbase 9.0. Whats so good about it considering you can't play against it?

o

Moves
04 Apr 06

Fritz 9 got a bad review at gamespot.com. Only a 6.9 out of 10. Heres the link:

http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?type=11&stype=all&qs=fritz+9&x=37&y=8

I have "deep fritz Grand Master Deluxe". Sure sounds fancy. When I play on the top right hand corner it says "Deep Fritz 8". Is this program better then deep fritz 8 or the same? Its kinda har ...[text shortened]... 150 Plus for Chessbase 9.0. Whats so good about it considering you can't play against it?
Gamespot isn't exactly a chess site. Fritz is made for chess players, not gamers. Also, Chessmaster was made for gamers, not chess players. Deep Fritz is made for multi processor computers. If you want all the features that 9 has over 8 go look at the link I gave you. If you are serious about chess, then yes Chessbase 9 is worth it in my opinion.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
04 Apr 06

I posted a chess problem here that Fritz 8 couldn't solve after running all night. Fritz 9 solved it in 25 seconds.

e

Moves
04 Apr 06

One last question, I have the book "Rapid Chess Improvment" by Michael De La Maza. It's collecting dust on the shelf right now. Because I didn't have the chess program CT-ART 3.0. That was required inorder to do the program. Not sure if the program is that great. It's quite controversial, I've heard mixed reviews.

Anyway if I where to participate in the program then is CT Art 3.0 a good bet? Could I do the same things on the Personal Chess Trainer 2.0? It sounds like it has more features. Whats a better bet?

o

Moves
04 Apr 06

One last question, I have the book "Rapid Chess Improvment" by Michael De La Maza. It's collecting dust on the shelf right now. Because I didn't have the chess program CT-ART 3.0. That was required inorder to do the program. Not sure if the program is that great. It's quite controversial, I've heard mixed reviews.

Anyway if I where to participat ...[text shortened]... the Personal Chess Trainer 2.0? It sounds like it has more features. Whats a better bet?
CT-ART would be the better bet. Personal Chess Trainer is it's own improvement method using lots and lots of repetition.

K
Mel Kirwan

Hauxton

Moves
04 Apr 06

Also which is the best one. I mean theirs Chessbase 9.0, CT-ART 3.0, Shredder 9 a ...[text shortened]... ot sure if Deep Fritz 8 is considered a program? Which one is best and are their any others?
Why don't you try and improve by playing a game. Member since January and you haven't made a single move yet??