11 Aug '10 21:42

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    11 Aug '10 21:46
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Chess etiquette rules are chess etiquette rules... irrespective of which players observe

and respect them and which don't. Chess prowess in no way defines poise or manners.

Are you stating that there is a proper way and any other way is improper?
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    11 Aug '10 21:471 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    RHP: letting Jesus know who's been naughty and nice for 9 years.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Aug '10 23:08
    Originally posted by gambit3

Are you stating that there is a proper way and any other way is improper?
    Let's break the news gently. Yes, Gambit3, genteel social considerations and civilized protocols still remain operative within a few global villages and green earth corners of the waist high/anything goes culture of a self destructing world.

5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    11 Aug '10 23:182 edits
    Paul, what you've heard or haven't heard in your still tender/impressionable years is totally inconsequential. Chess courtesy was alive and well before we were even born and it will still be here after we're gone. All we do is apprehend it or not. Period. You may enjoy meeting one of my remarkable mentors, Russian born E.M. Reubens, who taught me proper ...[text shortened]...

.......................................................................................
    To imply that the mere passing of time increases the value of a lone opinion is questionable. To claim that anyone disagreeing with a professed opinion suffers from a failure to apprehend is vacuous.

I could just as easily suggest that your lone voice indicates a failure to grasp (or should I say "apprehend" ) the relevance of the situation, but that would be equally vacuous on my part. It is so easy to be righteously assertive on the (mostly) anonymous internet, that is is sometimes hard for us to resist the temptation-but I don't think that excuses it.

Age is merely a metric of time. It is possible that with aging, you have gained wisdom, but my experience is that the truly wise are recognized by others, while those who think themselves wise as ordained by the calendar, and especially those who are arrogant or assertive about their own wisdom compared to others, may not be as far along as they think.

I don't think you are in a position to determine what is inconsequential, but you think you are, so have fun with it! Pass judgment on others to your heart's content.
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    11 Aug '10 23:20
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I always snap the crosses off the Kings because I'm an atheist
    We'll use your set then.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Aug '10 23:51
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett

To imply that the mere passing of time increases the value of a lone opinion is questionable. To claim that anyone disagreeing with a professed opinion suffers from a failure to apprehend is vacuous.

I could just as easily suggest that your lone voice indicates a failure to grasp (or should I say "apprehend" ) the relevance of the situation, but th ...[text shortened]... t you think you are, so have fun with it! Pass judgment on others to your heart's content.
    Thanks, Paul, for the teachable moment (labored generalizations and tedious cadence notwithstanding). Cheers.

8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    11 Aug '10 23:55
    Thanks, Paul, for the teachable moment (labored generalizations and tedious cadence notwithstanding). Cheers.

I knew you couldn't help yourself, and I was waiting to see what form it would take. You didn't disappoint!
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 01:05
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett

I knew you couldn't help yourself, and I was waiting to see what form it would take. You didn't disappoint!
    Still tedious, Paul. Whatever your beef may be, please let it

go out of respect for both the thread and its author. Thanks.

10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 02:00
    Still tedious, Paul. Whatever your beef may be, please let it

go out of respect for both the thread and its author. Thanks.

11. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 02:24
    I played GM Spassky, he put his Knights face forward, as did I.

Apparently no one ever taught Boris proper ettiquette either.

If you want your Knights sidewise feel free to adjust on your move. I will do the same on mine.

As far as GP's trick is concerned, if I am looking "at" the pieces on the board and not the squares, I have a bigger problem.
  12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 03:06
    You surprise me, Paul, in your failure to have grasped a time honored courtesy.
    Hi Paul,

I should have let this distraction (a personal observation that probably should have been directed to me in a PM, if it truly was necessary to make) from your thread go without attention, but instead I contributed to it. I certainly know better, so I have no excuse. Sorry about that!

Paul
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 03:211 edit
    "I can't help contrasting chess, among other sports and games, with golf. Now: I dislike golf, but you gotta admit, if you want to see gentlemanly behaviour (I don't know the female equivalent), and sporting courtesy, it is hard to go past professional golfers. Why can't we all be like that? ~2009 Forum Post at GameKnot

14. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 11:35
    my knights always face forward, though I have often seen in tournament play players will have one forward and one left or right, presumably to keep track of which is which.
  15. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 11:44
    Originally posted by duecer
    my knights always face forward, though I have often seen in tournament play players will have one forward and one left or right, presumably to keep track of which is which.
    Maybe one of the knights is scouting for flank attacks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree