1. Joined
    11 Jan '09
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 00:01
    Can anyone give me any info on chessbase reader? And I do mean any info...honestly any advice would be appreciated, as I am wondering if this is a program that could help me improve. Thanks.
  2. Joined
    05 Jul '09
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 00:27
    Originally posted by dirtysniper
    Can anyone give me any info on chessbase reader? And I do mean any info...honestly any advice would be appreciated, as I am wondering if this is a program that could help me improve. Thanks.
    The program itself can't teach you anything.It's a viewer/reader,it allows you to view files in chessbase format.Like e-books and CD's issued by chessbase.Also pgn files I think.If you have instructional material in chessbase format it will help you improve by allowing you to actually read your material.

If you have chessbase 7 or up or a playing program of the fritz family you don't need it.
    If you have nothing in chessbase format you don't need it.

Btw,it's free to download so you can always simply try it out.
  3. Joined
    11 Jan '09
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 00:43
    Can you use Chessbase reader to analyze games and study mistakes? Will it help educate me on my blunders and suggest what the stronger move would have been?
  4. Joined
    05 Jul '09
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 01:23
    Can you use Chessbase reader to analyze games and study mistakes? Will it help educate me on my blunders and suggest what the stronger move would have been?
    No,it does not contain an engine.

Are you familiar with adobe reader?It is like that but then for files in chessbase format.It only lets you view/read things,it's not interactive.
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 01:371 edit
    If you're just looking for something to help you analyze a game, you might want to check out Zarkon Fischer's site. It has good descriptions of a number of free programs like Scid, CA7 Light, Chessbase Light, and Arena. But the really nice thing about the descriptions is that he also discusses the limitations of the programs.

http://freechess.50webs.com/index.html

But one warning - While these programs will point out your blunders and suggest better moves, they typically won't tell you why the moves are better. You'll have to figure that out on your own.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree