1. SubscriberMutt n Stu
    K.I.N.G.
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 08:21
    Does anyone have this and what is the performance like? From what I can see they stopped at CM 9 and there were a lot of bugs.

I already have CM10 for PC (laptop) which works well but was keen to get CM for my Mac at home.
  2. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 22:53
    Originally posted by Mutt n Stu
    Does anyone have this and what is the performance like? From what I can see they stopped at CM 9 and there were a lot of bugs.

I already have CM10 for PC (laptop) which works well but was keen to get CM for my Mac at home.
    Mac have a program available called Parallels that allows you to run all PC programs on your mac
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '08 22:56
    VMWare Fusion, CrossOver (does not need Windows) and Bootcamp are additional options for running Windows programs on a Mac.

But anyway, I haven't tried ChessMaster on my Mac, but I have Sigma Chess with HIARCS and that's quite good.
  4. London
    Moves
    19 Jan '08 01:56
    Shredder 11 works well on a mac. www.shredderchess.com The problem with all the emulators as I've heard it is that you have to buy windows xp or vista as well as the pc emulator programme...so it all goes a little over my chess budget.
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '08 02:48
    It's not emulation, it's virtualization. This is very different and the processors are actually made in a way to make this more efficient. Moreover, CrossOver is a compatibility layer based on the WINE open source project and does not require Windows. But yes, the others do.
  6. London
    Moves
    19 Jan '08 16:03
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    It's not emulation, it's virtualization. This is very different and the processors are actually made in a way to make this more efficient. Moreover, CrossOver is a compatibility layer based on the WINE open source project and does not require Windows. But yes, the others do.
    Thanks for the tip...(which you did put in the original post...I should read more carefully!) seems reasonabley priced too at $40.00. Looks like it'll be a good solution for me when I upgrade to the intel Mac....well it says "intended for" the intel processors..do you think this means it won't work on my earlier G4 PowerBook?
  7. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    19 Jan '08 16:09
    Originally posted by Mahout
    Thanks for the tip...(which you did put in the original post...I should read more carefully!) seems reasonabley priced too at $40.00. Looks like it'll be a good solution for me when I upgrade to the intel Mac....well it says "intended for" the intel processors..do you think this means it won't work on my earlier G4 PowerBook?
    Parallels, crossover and bootcamp all use the Intel processor to run software. An Intel Mac is basically a PC with a fancy skin (and price) and the Apple logo on it. Apparently the Mac OS and software can be run on a modern PC, especially those with dual or quad core Intel processors, with a bit of mucking about.
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '08 19:48
    Originally posted by Kepler
    Parallels, crossover and bootcamp all use the Intel processor to run software. An Intel Mac is basically a PC with a fancy skin (and price) and the Apple logo on it. Apparently the Mac OS and software can be run on a modern PC, especially those with dual or quad core Intel processors, with a bit of mucking about.
    Usually Apple has a bit higher price but my Macbook was priced the same as Toshiba, Lenovo, Dell and HP. I hadn't even planned on getting a Macbook until I sorted the laptop reviews on CNET (only for core 2 duo laptops) and it was the top rating. After that, I looked at the price and noticed that it was within $50 of comparatively equipped laptops and it had the built-in camera, MagSafe as well as the option to run all operating systems so I went for it. I've been pretty pleased with it since.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree