1. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    16 Oct '22 04:492 edits
    I had a look at this a couple years ago and decided to go with SCID instead at the time. I don't remember the specific reasons, but ChessX is looking very good now!

It seems it can handle large databases now. Plus it can connect to both Nalimov and Syzygy tablebases.

Cool training features such as buttons to show which squares are controlled by white or black, or which pieces are undefended for white or black.

I haven't tried the analysis features yet. For offline analysis, my favorite so far is Lucas Chess.

A respectful thing ChessX does is to have a link to TWIC on their home page's menu, but no built-in function to download TWIC files (e.g., compared to ChessDB from 2007).

https://chessx.sourceforge.io
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    16 Oct '22 20:032 edits
    @kevin-eleven said
    I had a look at this a couple years ago and decided to go with SCID instead at the time. I don't remember the specific reasons, but ChessX is looking very good now!

It seems it can handle large databases now. Plus it can connect to both Nalimov and Syzygy tablebases.

Cool training features such as buttons to show which squares are controlled by white or black, or w ...[text shortened]... ction to download TWIC files (e.g., compared to ChessDB from 2007).

https://chessx.sourceforge.io
    Lots of useful features here, no doubt. I'm wondering however if this maybe opening and organizational overload. GM's Smith and Tikkanen, authors of the Woodpecker Method tell us in the introduction that over 72% of tournament games are decided by tactical mistakes in players under 1800, and I don't see how ChessX helps with that. Still...it's hard to argue with "free" and I definitely need to drag myself into the digital age when it comes to chess, so think I'll give this a try. Thanks for the info.
  3. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    19 Oct '22 18:362 edits
    @mchill said
    Lots of useful features here, no doubt. I'm wondering however if this maybe opening and organizational overload. GM's Smith and Tikkanen, authors of the Woodpecker Method tell us in the introduction that over 72% of tournament games are decided by tactical mistakes in players under 1800, and I don't see how ChessX helps with that. Still...it's hard to argue with "free" and I d ...[text shortened]... elf into the digital age when it comes to chess, so think I'll give this a try. Thanks for the info.
    I would agree that using any kind of database at all is probably overkill for my primordial level of understanding. But it's still fun to play with the big kids' toys for its own sake and maybe to get some faint understanding of their world.

I do like to use the filter feature to play through some games and maybe generate some opening trees based on games by some of my favorite players.

It's never as if I'm going to play (e.g.) MVL or Nepo tomorrow and would be prepping some way to fake him out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree