1. Fågelsången
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 10:31
    Oh, I really want to buy this one (Chessmaster 11). Any first impressions to share with us?
  2. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 17:121 edit
    What is with all the names for it? Chessmaster 11 ; Grand Master, Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition -- The Art of Learning, Chessmaster 2007, Chessmaster ; The art of Learning, and Chessmaster 11, P.S. I hope they do not put so many frills in it that they forget about improving its game play and release it full of bugs.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 17:31
    Originally posted by gambit3
    What is with all the names for it? Chessmaster 11 ; Grand Master, Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition -- The Art of Learning, Chessmaster 2007, Chessmaster ; The art of Learning, and Chessmaster 11, P.S. I hope they do not put so many frills in it that they forget about improving its game play and release it full of bugs.
    We're talking about UbiSoft.

My first impression of Chessmaster's newest version after using their software for nearly two decades: I glanced at the box, saw that it still needs a complete overhaul (by chess professionals) before I have a reason to read the text on the back of the box.

If you play chess and wish to improve, stop looking at Chessmaster unless someone lays it on you for free.
  4. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 17:53
    The Ubisoft web page called it Chessmaster XI. A general search resulted in it being called by several names. In the general search Ubisoft is called the developer and producer. Perhaps Ubisoft was considering several names before deciding to call it Chessmaster XI?
  5. Standard memberHurricaneConway125
    SUPREMO OF SOMERSET
    SOMERSET
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 17:55
    Get one of the Fritz programs they're flawless and databases of millions of games
  6. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 17:57
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    We're talking about UbiSoft.

My first impression of Chessmaster's newest version after using their software for nearly two decades: I glanced at the box, saw that it still needs a complete overhaul (by chess professionals) before I have a reason to read the text on the back of the box.

If you play chess and wish to improve, stop looking at Chessmaster unless someone lays it on you for free.
    What is so bad about ChessMaster that it need a "complete overhaul"?
  7. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 18:06
    What is so bad about ChessMaster that it need a "complete overhaul"?
    I have it and it seems to work pretty good with a couple of minor issues. I posted it on their forums. When you consider what you get for 40 bucks there's noting that will beat it. I also have shredder 11 UCI, and Shredder 10. The engine of CMXI might be alittle weaker than Shredder 10/11 but there aren't many here that can beat either one so what does it matter?
    There are excellent tutorials, puzzles, quizzes, etc. Also the game analysis feature is in plain English and the program will read you the results, including what opening was used as well as suggested better moves and lines. The game gets a bad rap because it's by a game company but it's really pretty good.
  8. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 18:072 edits
    Originally posted by hamltnblue
    [b]I have it and it seems to work pretty good with a couple of minor issues. I posted it on their forums. When you consider what you get for 40 bucks there's noting that will beat it. I also have shredder 11 UCI, and Shredder 10. The engine of CMXI might be alittle weaker than Shredder 10/11 but there aren't many here that can beat either one so what does i .
    By the way here's my comments on their forum.
    1. Program comes on a DVD
    2. Patch installs smoothly
    3. Graphics are significantly better and nice eye candy
    4. The program starts without the DVD in the drive.
    5. Menu structure has same basic look and feel as CM10 making it easy to pick up.
    6. Lesson structure is the same with what looks like all of the CM10 content, however there appears to be a good bit more content including opening training.
    7. When playing I noted that the program does use both cores on my dual core processor.
    8. On-Line play includes correspondence chess as well as clans. (edited)
    9. When leaving online play and then returning, the game totally crashes. It works again after starting the program again but crashes when you repeat leaving and returning. This happens every time you leave and return.
    10. After making a move in Correspondence Chess, there is no obvious menu option to return to the main lobby or previous screen. Fixing this is a must. After moving around a bit you learn how to get back but should be a simple button.
    11 Stereo 3d setting makes pieces blurry This is normal and requires 3d glasses to see the affects. (edited)
    12. Game Analysis appears to be very close if not identical to CM10.
    13. The Famous games section is identical to CM10 in the couple of games I compared. Both in functionality and actual comments. There were an additional 80 games added.
    14. Most other sections appear to be identical to CM10 with improved graphics. For 40 bucks I think it's worth it, especially if your are relatively new at the game.
    15. There is a website http://cmxi.ubi.com/ where you can monitor games status etc without having the program running. It would be nice if it would allow you to play correspondence games from remote locations.
    16. CPU use seems to sit at 100% for one core when program is runnign even when not playing a game
    17. When submitting a move in CC you have to drop down the Competition list to click on submit move or right click on the screen and select a menu. It should be on the CC screen.
  9. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 18:25
    Originally posted by hamltnblue
    I have it and it seems to work pretty good with a couple of minor issues. I posted it on their forums. When you consider what you get for 40 bucks there's noting that will beat it. I also have shredder 11 UCI, and Shredder 10. The engine of CMXI might be alittle weaker than Shredder 10/11 but there aren't many here that can beat either one so what does i ...[text shortened]... lines. The game gets a bad rap because it's by a game company but it's really pretty good.
    I am not sure but I think ChessMaster's style of play is where most of the stronger players have a problem with it. I have never beaten a ChessMaster personality much above 1600 rateing. My version of ChessMaster is about 1930 rateing points in playing strength. ChessMaster is rated at 2641 on my computer but its playing strength is only at expert level. ChessMaster is considerably over rated.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 18:43
    I am not sure but I think ChessMaster's style of play is where most of the stronger players have a problem with it. I have never beaten a ChessMaster personality much above 1600 rateing. My version of ChessMaster is about 1930 rateing points in playing strength. ChessMaster is rated at 2641 on my computer but its playing strength is only at expert level. ChessMaster is considerably over rated.
    how do you know your chessmaster's playing strength is 1930?

even CM9, many years ago has beaten GM Larry Christiansen, I think that should falsify your statement about CM being overrated. To me it seems just the opposite.
  11. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 18:481 edit
    Originally posted by diskamyl

even CM9, many years ago has beaten GM Larry Christiansen, I think that should falsify your statement about CM being overrated. To me it seems just the opposite.
    I found a test in a web page. The test calculated a rated performance. With three miin. a move it was rated at 1930. With thirty min. a move it tested at 2070. I stated that my version was so rated. My version is ChessMaster 7000. There is a rateing difference of over six hundred rateing points in its tested rateing and the rateing ChessMaster states it is rated at. It seems to me that the Chessmaster personalities play below their stated rateing. Several players in here have made the same claim.
  12. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 18:50
    I know the engine is the latest version of King but I wouldn't know about style of play. They'll never know if they don't try it. I'm sure though that Chessmaster doesn't target the .5% of IM and GM players out there. They seem to target those from beginners to intermediate and lower advanced that want to improve their game. Either way it's always good to have another choice and solution in the training department. I feel that CM is probably top notch in training especially for the price.
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 19:13
    Originally posted by diskamyl

I remember reading a thread here at some point, where some 2000 rated player beat chessmaster here on an unrated game. I think he commented something like "CM hasn't got a clue how lost it already is" in the middle of the game.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 19:171 edit
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I remember reading a thread here at some point, where some 2000 rated player beat chessmaster here on an unrated game. I think he commented something like "CM hasn't got a clue how lost it already is" in the middle of the game.
    its natural for a 2000 rated player having chances against the "weak side" engines in a correspondence game (weak in terms of being under 2700). that doesn't make that player better than CM though, actually I can go as far to say that it's statistically negligible in computer chess.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 19:21
    I found a test in a web page. The test calculated a rated performance. With three miin. a move it was rated at 1930. With thirty min. a move it tested at 2070. I stated that my version was so rated. My version is ChessMaster 7000. There is a rateing difference of over six hundred rateing points in its tested rateing and the rateing ChessMaster states it is r ...[text shortened]... personalities play below their stated rateing. Several players in here have made the same claim.
    lol, you have tested CM 7000 in only a test suite and argue about CM being overrated in a thread about CM11.

in computer chess, ratings are calculated reliably only after hundreds of games, and it's version 7000 we are talking about here!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree