Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 17 Jan '09 23:50 / 1 edit
    Welcome to Corus Chess 2009


    The 71st Corus Chess tournament will be held from 16 January - 1 February 2009 in Wijk aan Zee, the Netherlands.

    http://www.coruschess.com/

    *******************************************************

    DAILY REPORT: A Stunning Start!

    The lots have been drawn, the festival has been declared open, the gong was struck, and so the Corus 2009 is on in full swing!

    Normally the first round of big events is typical of hesitation and ‘all games drawn’ while the opponents feel the water. Not so today! Blood was drawn, and it was no less than a sensation when last seed Jan Smeets toppled top ranked Vassily Ivanchuk with the black pieces... (read more)

    January 17 2009 - Corus Chess Press

    http://www.coruschess.com/report.php?year=2009&report=1

    *********************************************************

    Check it out !
  2. 18 Jan '09 03:17
    good to see henrique mecking in limelight again.
  3. 18 Jan '09 13:11
    It will be interesting to see Morozevich in this tournament. Usually he plays very "tasty" chess. Yesterday he lost his first game, so i expect him to fight today
  4. 18 Jan '09 22:07
    Originally posted by elady
    It will be interesting to see Morozevich in this tournament. Usually he plays very "tasty" chess. Yesterday he lost his first game, so i expect him to fight today
    And he won today! So did Ivanchuk. In Group B, Hou Yifan (2571) won against top seed Krishnan Sasikiran (2711). Go, Hou, go!
  5. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    18 Jan '09 23:44
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    And he won today! So did Ivanchuk. In Group B, Hou Yifan (2571) won against top seed Krishnan Sasikiran (2711). Go, Hou, go!
    Sexist.
  6. 18 Jan '09 23:54
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Sexist.
    Hey, she would be the youngest person in the Top 20 Juniors list if FIDE hadn't left her out for some strange reason, and she's the youngest player in the B Group. That would get my attention no matter what gender she is. So you can call me ageist instead of sexist.
  7. 19 Jan '09 00:42
    Jan Smeets explaining how to win a game despite your position being worse throughout the game: http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/corus-r1-press-conference/#more-7192
  8. 19 Jan '09 18:30
    It seems like Chuki & Moro forgot the meaning of the word "draw".
    Ivanchuck played very strong against Rajabov but blitzed at the end of the game and made a couple of bad moves. Morozevich was sure that he much better than Kamsky, played too risky and just lost too fast.
  9. 19 Jan '09 18:49
    Originally posted by elady
    It seems like Chuki & Moro forgot the meaning of the word "draw".
    Ivanchuck played very strong against Rajabov but blitzed at the end of the game and made a couple of bad moves. Morozevich was sure that he much better than Kamsky, played too risky and just lost too fast.
    Carlsen, on the other hand, forgot the meaning of the word "win".
  10. 25 Jan '09 14:17
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Carlsen, on the other hand, forgot the meaning of the word "win".
    He just took his 8th draw in a row...
  11. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    25 Jan '09 17:27
    Sergei Movsesian!
  12. Standard member Korch
    Chess Warrior
    25 Jan '09 19:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Sergei Movsesian!
    I hope he`ll be in top 3. He`s one of my favorite modern GM`s.
  13. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    25 Jan '09 20:22
    Originally posted by Korch
    I hope he`ll be in top 3. He`s one of my favorite modern GM`s.
    Five rounds left and he has the lead by 1/2 point. If he keeps playing well, he should be near the top.
  14. 26 Jan '09 23:07
    Morozevich is playing really bad chess, that sacrifice against Domingeuz was just laughable. I don't know if he plays weird sub-systems simply to be original but I think that if someone would just slap him in the face and force him to play main lines he would get much better results.

    Sometimes it seems like he picks this weird sideline the day before the game and just gets surprised at move 9 or something (his Grunfeld against Wang Yeu).
  15. 27 Jan '09 12:13
    Originally posted by Garnoth
    Morozevich is playing really bad chess, that sacrifice against Domingeuz was just laughable. I don't know if he plays weird sub-systems simply to be original but I think that if someone would just slap him in the face and force him to play main lines he would get much better results.

    Sometimes it seems like he picks this weird sideline the day before the game and just gets surprised at move 9 or something (his Grunfeld against Wang Yeu).
    He usually tries to run away from theory and to fight in the middlegame. I can't remember good novelties of him. His strategy works good against 2400-2700 players, but badly works against 2700+ GM's