1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    17 Jan '09 23:501 edit
    Welcome to Corus Chess 2009

The 71st Corus Chess tournament will be held from 16 January - 1 February 2009 in Wijk aan Zee, the Netherlands.

http://www.coruschess.com/

DAILY REPORT: A Stunning Start!

The lots have been drawn, the festival has been declared open, the gong was struck, and so the Corus 2009 is on in full swing!

Normally the first round of big events is typical of hesitation and ‘all games drawn’ while the opponents feel the water. Not so today! Blood was drawn, and it was no less than a sensation when last seed Jan Smeets toppled top ranked Vassily Ivanchuk with the black pieces... (read more)

January 17 2009 - Corus Chess Press

http://www.coruschess.com/report.php?year=2009&report=1

Check it out !
  2. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    18 Jan '09 03:17
    good to see henrique mecking in limelight again.
  3. Jerusalem
    Moves
    18 Jan '09 13:11
    It will be interesting to see Morozevich in this tournament. Usually he plays very "tasty" chess. Yesterday he lost his first game, so i expect him to fight today
  4. The sky
    Moves
    18 Jan '09 22:07
    Originally posted by elady
    It will be interesting to see Morozevich in this tournament. Usually he plays very "tasty" chess. Yesterday he lost his first game, so i expect him to fight today
    And he won today! So did Ivanchuk. In Group B, Hou Yifan (2571) won against top seed Krishnan Sasikiran (2711). Go, Hou, go!
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Jan '09 23:44
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    And he won today! So did Ivanchuk. In Group B, Hou Yifan (2571) won against top seed Krishnan Sasikiran (2711). Go, Hou, go!
    Sexist. 😛
  6. The sky
    Moves
    18 Jan '09 23:54
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Sexist. 😛
    Hey, she would be the youngest person in the Top 20 Juniors list if FIDE hadn't left her out for some strange reason, and she's the youngest player in the B Group. That would get my attention no matter what gender she is. So you can call me ageist instead of sexist. 😛
  7. The sky
    Moves
    19 Jan '09 00:42
    Jan Smeets explaining how to win a game despite your position being worse throughout the game: http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/corus-r1-press-conference/#more-7192
  8. Jerusalem
    Moves
    19 Jan '09 18:30
    It seems like Chuki & Moro forgot the meaning of the word "draw".
    Ivanchuck played very strong against Rajabov but blitzed at the end of the game and made a couple of bad moves. Morozevich was sure that he much better than Kamsky, played too risky and just lost too fast.
  9. The sky
    Moves
    19 Jan '09 18:49
    Originally posted by elady
    It seems like Chuki & Moro forgot the meaning of the word "draw".
    Ivanchuck played very strong against Rajabov but blitzed at the end of the game and made a couple of bad moves. Morozevich was sure that he much better than Kamsky, played too risky and just lost too fast.
    Carlsen, on the other hand, forgot the meaning of the word "win".
  10. The sky
    Moves
    25 Jan '09 14:17
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Carlsen, on the other hand, forgot the meaning of the word "win".
    He just took his 8th draw in a row...
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    25 Jan '09 17:27
    Sergei Movsesian!
  12. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    25 Jan '09 19:421 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Sergei Movsesian!
    I hope he`ll be in top 3. He`s one of my favorite modern GM`s.
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    25 Jan '09 20:22
    Originally posted by Korch
    I hope he`ll be in top 3. He`s one of my favorite modern GM`s.
    Five rounds left and he has the lead by 1/2 point. If he keeps playing well, he should be near the top.
  14. Joined
    16 Nov '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 23:07
    Morozevich is playing really bad chess, that sacrifice against Domingeuz was just laughable. I don't know if he plays weird sub-systems simply to be original but I think that if someone would just slap him in the face and force him to play main lines he would get much better results.

Sometimes it seems like he picks this weird sideline the day before the game and just gets surprised at move 9 or something (his Grunfeld against Wang Yeu).
  15. Jerusalem
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 12:13
    Originally posted by Garnoth
    Morozevich is playing really bad chess, that sacrifice against Domingeuz was just laughable. I don't know if he plays weird sub-systems simply to be original but I think that if someone would just slap him in the face and force him to play main lines he would get much better results.

Sometimes it seems like he picks this weird sideline the day before the game and just gets surprised at move 9 or something (his Grunfeld against Wang Yeu).
    He usually tries to run away from theory and to fight in the middlegame. I can't remember good novelties of him. His strategy works good against 2400-2700 players, but badly works against 2700+ GM's

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree